Police Drop Mark Clattenburg ‘Racism’ Probe into John Obi Mikel Claims
By Dominic Gover | November 14, 2012 6:02 AM EST
Scotland Yard dropped its investigation into alleged racist comments by Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel.
Chelsea alleged Mikel was racially abused by Clattenburg during last month's 3-2 defeat to Premier League title rivals, Manchester Utd.
Mikel reportedly insisted several times after the tempestuous clash that Clattenburg had made a race slur against him during the match.
A Metropolitan Police Spokesman said: "Without a victim or any evidence that any offence has been committed, the matter cannot currently be investigated.
"If the situation changes and a victim and/or evidence to support an allegation of a crime comes to police attention then further enquiries will if appropriate be made."
Chelsea did not make the complaint to the police. That was done by the Black Lawyer's Society. But the Stamford Bridge club did complain to the FA.
But the matter was not settled by the announcement. The European champion's complained also to the FA, which is conducting its own investigation.
Chairman Bruce Buck defended the club's decision to pursue its player's claim against Clattenburg
"It [the decision] was made after a great deal of anguish and after talking long and hard that evening about what should we do," he told the Evening Standard.
"Suppose we had tried to sweep this under the rug and said to the various players, 'Look, it's not a big deal and the press are going to be all over us, maybe you want to reconsider." If that had leaked out, we would've really been crucified."
"Misconduct is a defined term under the FA regulations and includes such racial behaviour. We also had to consider the Equality Act 2010, which imposes an obligation on an employer to take certain actions if an employee is subject to discrimination by third parties.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone