Police Drop Mark Clattenburg ‘Racism’ Probe into John Obi Mikel Claims
By Dominic Gover | November 14, 2012 6:02 AM EST
Scotland Yard dropped its investigation into alleged racist comments by Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel.
Chelsea alleged Mikel was racially abused by Clattenburg during last month's 3-2 defeat to Premier League title rivals, Manchester Utd.
Mikel reportedly insisted several times after the tempestuous clash that Clattenburg had made a race slur against him during the match.
A Metropolitan Police Spokesman said: "Without a victim or any evidence that any offence has been committed, the matter cannot currently be investigated.
"If the situation changes and a victim and/or evidence to support an allegation of a crime comes to police attention then further enquiries will if appropriate be made."
Chelsea did not make the complaint to the police. That was done by the Black Lawyer's Society. But the Stamford Bridge club did complain to the FA.
But the matter was not settled by the announcement. The European champion's complained also to the FA, which is conducting its own investigation.
Chairman Bruce Buck defended the club's decision to pursue its player's claim against Clattenburg
"It [the decision] was made after a great deal of anguish and after talking long and hard that evening about what should we do," he told the Evening Standard.
"Suppose we had tried to sweep this under the rug and said to the various players, 'Look, it's not a big deal and the press are going to be all over us, maybe you want to reconsider." If that had leaked out, we would've really been crucified."
"Misconduct is a defined term under the FA regulations and includes such racial behaviour. We also had to consider the Equality Act 2010, which imposes an obligation on an employer to take certain actions if an employee is subject to discrimination by third parties.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’