Police Drop Mark Clattenburg ‘Racism’ Probe into John Obi Mikel Claims
By Dominic Gover | November 14, 2012 6:02 AM EST
Scotland Yard dropped its investigation into alleged racist comments by Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg to Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel.
Chelsea alleged Mikel was racially abused by Clattenburg during last month's 3-2 defeat to Premier League title rivals, Manchester Utd.
Mikel reportedly insisted several times after the tempestuous clash that Clattenburg had made a race slur against him during the match.
A Metropolitan Police Spokesman said: "Without a victim or any evidence that any offence has been committed, the matter cannot currently be investigated.
"If the situation changes and a victim and/or evidence to support an allegation of a crime comes to police attention then further enquiries will if appropriate be made."
Chelsea did not make the complaint to the police. That was done by the Black Lawyer's Society. But the Stamford Bridge club did complain to the FA.
But the matter was not settled by the announcement. The European champion's complained also to the FA, which is conducting its own investigation.
Chairman Bruce Buck defended the club's decision to pursue its player's claim against Clattenburg
"It [the decision] was made after a great deal of anguish and after talking long and hard that evening about what should we do," he told the Evening Standard.
"Suppose we had tried to sweep this under the rug and said to the various players, 'Look, it's not a big deal and the press are going to be all over us, maybe you want to reconsider." If that had leaked out, we would've really been crucified."
"Misconduct is a defined term under the FA regulations and includes such racial behaviour. We also had to consider the Equality Act 2010, which imposes an obligation on an employer to take certain actions if an employee is subject to discrimination by third parties.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More