Radical Islamic Cleric Calls To Destroy The Sphinx, Other Great Pyramids In Egypt
By IBTIMES STAFF REPORTER | November 14, 2012 5:19 AM EST
Egyptian authorities have stepped up security measures to protect the Sphinx and the other great pyramids of Giza after a radical jihadist leader broadcasted on an Egyptian TV station that he hoped to destroy the marvels.
The Jerusalem Post reports that Murgan Salem al-Gohary, a prominent Salafist Muslim with links to the Taliban, told the privately-owned Dream TV2 network that the pyramids are idolatrous and harmful to Islam.
“The idols and statutes that fill Egypt must be destroyed,” al-Gohary said. “Muslims are tasked with applying the teachings of Islam and removing these idols, just like we did in Afghanistan when we smashed the Buddha statues.”
In 2001, the Taliban, along with al-Gohary's assistance, blew up a number of large Buddha depictions and smashed other art in Afghanistan to erase memories of the country's Buddhist history.
Al-Gohary had traveled to Afghanistan after serving two prison sentences in Egypt during Hosni Mubarek's presidency. After destroying the statues and being injured by a U.S. air strike in Afghanistan, al-Gohary ventured to Syria, where he was arrested and extradited back to Egypt.
While Egyptian media spoke to administration officials who guaranteed the safety of the structures and said the government had taken all the necessary precautions, Egyptian tourism officials feel not enough has been done. Egypt's Coalition to Support Tourism said the threats alone would maim the country's travel industry. The coalition threatened lawsuit against Mohamed Morsi and Egypt's tourism minister if further steps were not taken to protect the pyramids.
The Sphinx, the world's largest monolith statue, has become a target of Salafi and Islamist threats in recent time, reports the Jerusalem Post.
Last week in Tahrir Square, according to U.K.'s Independent, Salafis gathered to call for Sharia Law in Egypt. The Salafist Party is the second most powerful in the country behind the Muslim Brotherhood.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]