Could Michelle Obama be Downton Abbey's Biggest Fan?
By Toyin Owoseje | November 14, 2012 3:08 AM EST
She may be busy supporting the world's most powerful man but it seems that Michelle Obama still finds a way to catch up on her favourite TV programmes.
But rather than indulging in American sitcoms, the first lady of the United States prefers drama of a very British kind.
President Obama's wife is such a big fan of Downton Abbey that she begged ITV chiefs to send over the third series ahead of its official US launch date, the Sun reports.
The couple are apparently so hooked on the British costume drama that Michelle wrote to ITV1 requesting some DVDs of the new episodes before it airs in America on 6 January.
An ITV spokesperson told the paper: "We'd heard the Obamas liked to watch it but we were very surprised when someone from the First Lady's office got in touch asking for the series.
"They were very polite and we were more than happy to sort out some DVDs to send over."
Although the show bosses were more than obliging, they hoped the Obamas would be able to keep the big finale under wraps for the rest of the overseas fans.
The hit drama charts the upstairs, downstairs goings on in a great British household and centres around a younger Lord Robert and Lady Cora Grantham, played by Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern.
Earlier this year, Bonneville and McGovern were special guest of President Obama at his White House dinner for David Cameron.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff