Jimmy Savile 'Engineered TV Shows to Abuse Children'
By Ewan Palmer | November 13, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Jimmy Savile created his famous TV shows in order to gain access to children, according to the investigator who originally helped to expose the abuse allegations against him.
Former child protection officer turned reporter Mark Williams-Thomas was the presenter of the ITV documentary in October which claimed the former Top of the Pops presenter abused underage girls for years while working at the BBC.
Williams-Thomas has since worked on a follow up to the investigation, due to be aired on 21 November, which will look at the full extent of the abuse by Savile and claims he "engineered" his shows so he can abuse children.
Williams-Thomas told the Radio Times: "In the previous programme it was unclear what came first.
"But I can very clearly tell you now that he created his television series as a vehicle for his offending. I believe he engineered his programmes within the BBC and Radio Luxembourg in order to gain access to children.
"The classic examples are Top of the Pops, Savile's Travels, Jim'll Fix It - all of them gave him access to young children. That's why there were so many victims."
The follow-up documentary entitled Exposure Update will look at how Savile was able to get away with abusing children for decades, drawing on evidence obtained since the broadcast of the original investigation.
Williams-Thomas added: "In the first programme, we focused on a fairly short time scale. Now we're able to show that Savile's offending behaviours spanned four decades and many hundreds of victims.
"This isn't just someone who offended only against 13, 14, and 15-year-olds. It's someone who offended against ten-year-olds."
Scotland Yard launched an investigation into historic sexual abuse by Savile and others after the ITV documentary was broadcast on 3 October.
There have so far been about 300 potential victims identified and a further 400 lines of inquiry.
Asked where he believed the Savile investigation will end, Williams-Thomas said: "I think there will be further arrests over the forthcoming days, weeks and months of people who were party to offending alongside Savile.
"There will also be arrests of people who have got nothing to do with Savile, some of whom will be of very significant standing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates