Jimmy Savile 'Engineered TV Shows to Abuse Children'
By Ewan Palmer | November 13, 2012 11:24 PM EST
Jimmy Savile created his famous TV shows in order to gain access to children, according to the investigator who originally helped to expose the abuse allegations against him.
Former child protection officer turned reporter Mark Williams-Thomas was the presenter of the ITV documentary in October which claimed the former Top of the Pops presenter abused underage girls for years while working at the BBC.
Williams-Thomas has since worked on a follow up to the investigation, due to be aired on 21 November, which will look at the full extent of the abuse by Savile and claims he "engineered" his shows so he can abuse children.
Williams-Thomas told the Radio Times: "In the previous programme it was unclear what came first.
"But I can very clearly tell you now that he created his television series as a vehicle for his offending. I believe he engineered his programmes within the BBC and Radio Luxembourg in order to gain access to children.
"The classic examples are Top of the Pops, Savile's Travels, Jim'll Fix It - all of them gave him access to young children. That's why there were so many victims."
The follow-up documentary entitled Exposure Update will look at how Savile was able to get away with abusing children for decades, drawing on evidence obtained since the broadcast of the original investigation.
Williams-Thomas added: "In the first programme, we focused on a fairly short time scale. Now we're able to show that Savile's offending behaviours spanned four decades and many hundreds of victims.
"This isn't just someone who offended only against 13, 14, and 15-year-olds. It's someone who offended against ten-year-olds."
Scotland Yard launched an investigation into historic sexual abuse by Savile and others after the ITV documentary was broadcast on 3 October.
There have so far been about 300 potential victims identified and a further 400 lines of inquiry.
Asked where he believed the Savile investigation will end, Williams-Thomas said: "I think there will be further arrests over the forthcoming days, weeks and months of people who were party to offending alongside Savile.
"There will also be arrests of people who have got nothing to do with Savile, some of whom will be of very significant standing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display