As expected, Google has started rolling out Over-The-Air (OTA) Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) with build number JOP40C for the Galaxy Nexus by model number I9250. To install the Jelly Bean update your Galaxy Nexus should run on Android 4.1.2 JZO54K which is the previous Jelly Bean official update, notes Team Android.
Google's fourth generation Nexus-branded smartphone manufactured by LG, Nexus 4, is the first Android phone to feature the Android 4.2 software. Google recently announced the latest version of Jelly Bean alongside the announcement of its Nexus devices.
The Android 4.2 brings an array of new features including Photo Sphere, Gesture Typing, support for wireless display, Daydream, enhanced Google Now, Google Search and Android Beam.
A few days before the official release, an apps package containing the features of Android 4.2 was released for Galaxy Nexus by XDA Developer, tommrazek01.
Google is expected to release the Android 4.2 update for Nexus 7, Nexus S (JOP40C) and Motorola Xoom soon.
Galaxy Nexus users can manually check for the OTA update by browsing to Settings>> System Updates>> Check Now.
Users who cannot wait for the OTA to arrive in their region and wish to install the update manually, may follow the guide below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be responsible for any damage to the device. Before installation, users are advised to check below whether their phone meets all requirements or not.
1) Download USB Drivers for Galaxy Nexus.
2) Enable the USB Debugging mode.
3) Create backup of all your important data before proceeding.
4) Ensure that the battery of your device should carry charge above 80 per cent.
5) Your Galaxy Nexus should be factory unlocked.
6) The aforementioned Android 4.2 JOP40C Jelly Bean firmware is compatible only with the Galaxy Nexus by model number I9250. Verify the model number of your device before proceeding. Do not try this on any other variant.
7) In order to install the Android 4.2 update, your Galaxy Nexus should be running on Android 4.1.2 JZO54K which is not rooted and has stock recovery.
8) Do not proceed if your phone is not running on Android 4.1.2 JZO54K.
Steps to install Android 4.2 JOP40C OTA Official update on Galaxy Nexus I9250 [Non-rooted]
1) Download Android 4.2 JOP40C Jelly Bean for Galaxy Nexus to your computer. Rename the downloaded zip file as "update.zip"
2) Connect the Galaxy Nexus to the computer using the USB cable. Now transfer the "update.zip" file to the SD card of your phone
3) Power off your phone and place the device in Bootloader Mode. To do so turn on the phone while pressing Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until you get to see the Fastboot menu and START on top
4) Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press the Volume Up button until you see Recovery and press the Power button to select it
5) You will see an exclamation mark. Once again hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together. You should see the Recovery Mode menu
6) Select "update from SD card". Press the Power button to select the update.zip file. The installation should start now
7) Once the installation process is complete your phone will boot. This might take about five minutes, so be patient
The Android 4.2 JOP40C Jelly Bean official OTA update is now installed on your Galaxy Nexus. You can verify the software running on your device by navigating to Settings>> About Phone.
Head over to the thread to see how to root Galaxy Nexus on Android 4.2 JOP40C Jelly Bean official firmware.
To contact the editor, e-mail: