Catarina Migliorini Virginity Auction: Brazil Locked in Prostitution Debate
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 9:29 PM EST
The 20-year-old Brazilian student who sold her virginity in an online auction has sparked a national debate in her homeland over prostitution.
Catarina Migliorini, a physical education student currently living in Australia, sold her 'first time' to a Japanese man for £483,000, as part of a documentary project created by filmmaker Jason Sisely.
Joao Pedro de Saboia Bandeira de Mello Filho, the attorney general of Brazil, has reportedly said that Migliorini should be deported back to Brazil for 'the exercise of prostitution' while Sisley should should face sex-trafficking charges.
However, Filho's compatriots appear to be divided on the subject. Aliana, a 21-year-old student, told Bikyamstr.com: "I think what we are seeing is that the media wants to bring controversy and using the word prostitute sells and gets people to their websites."
After the auction, Migliorini said she would be using the majority of the money to build homes for poverty-stricken families.
Aliana continued: "This is not prostitution. It is a woman's right to raise money using her body. She is not getting the money."
Aliana's view was contested by a Brazilian social worker, who said what Migliorini plans to do with the money is a moot point:
"She will likely raise a lot of money for the cause, but the reality is that selling your body for something should not be an idea that women get behind, whether or not it is for a good cause."
For her part, Migliorini said she does not think she is a prostitute because she only plans to auction her body once.
She told Folha newspaper: "I saw this as a business. I have the opportunity to travel, to be part of a movie and get a bonus with it.
"If you only do it once in your life then you are not a prostitute, just like if you take one amazing photograph it does not automatically make you a photographer.
"The winning bidder will be entitled to get at least an hour with me. More than that, it depends on the moment.
"The buyer cannot act out fantasies, use sex toys, nothing. It is mandatory to use a condom and he can only take my virginity, nothing more. We can talk. But kissing, no. Kissing is not in the contract.
"I imagine it will be a man older than me, but I'm not creating expectation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase