Catarina Migliorini Virginity Auction: Brazil Locked in Prostitution Debate
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 9:29 PM EST
The 20-year-old Brazilian student who sold her virginity in an online auction has sparked a national debate in her homeland over prostitution.
Catarina Migliorini, a physical education student currently living in Australia, sold her 'first time' to a Japanese man for £483,000, as part of a documentary project created by filmmaker Jason Sisely.
Joao Pedro de Saboia Bandeira de Mello Filho, the attorney general of Brazil, has reportedly said that Migliorini should be deported back to Brazil for 'the exercise of prostitution' while Sisley should should face sex-trafficking charges.
However, Filho's compatriots appear to be divided on the subject. Aliana, a 21-year-old student, told Bikyamstr.com: "I think what we are seeing is that the media wants to bring controversy and using the word prostitute sells and gets people to their websites."
After the auction, Migliorini said she would be using the majority of the money to build homes for poverty-stricken families.
Aliana continued: "This is not prostitution. It is a woman's right to raise money using her body. She is not getting the money."
Aliana's view was contested by a Brazilian social worker, who said what Migliorini plans to do with the money is a moot point:
"She will likely raise a lot of money for the cause, but the reality is that selling your body for something should not be an idea that women get behind, whether or not it is for a good cause."
For her part, Migliorini said she does not think she is a prostitute because she only plans to auction her body once.
She told Folha newspaper: "I saw this as a business. I have the opportunity to travel, to be part of a movie and get a bonus with it.
"If you only do it once in your life then you are not a prostitute, just like if you take one amazing photograph it does not automatically make you a photographer.
"The winning bidder will be entitled to get at least an hour with me. More than that, it depends on the moment.
"The buyer cannot act out fantasies, use sex toys, nothing. It is mandatory to use a condom and he can only take my virginity, nothing more. We can talk. But kissing, no. Kissing is not in the contract.
"I imagine it will be a man older than me, but I'm not creating expectation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More