Catarina Migliorini Virginity Auction: Brazil Locked in Prostitution Debate
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 9:29 PM EST
The 20-year-old Brazilian student who sold her virginity in an online auction has sparked a national debate in her homeland over prostitution.
Catarina Migliorini, a physical education student currently living in Australia, sold her 'first time' to a Japanese man for £483,000, as part of a documentary project created by filmmaker Jason Sisely.
Joao Pedro de Saboia Bandeira de Mello Filho, the attorney general of Brazil, has reportedly said that Migliorini should be deported back to Brazil for 'the exercise of prostitution' while Sisley should should face sex-trafficking charges.
However, Filho's compatriots appear to be divided on the subject. Aliana, a 21-year-old student, told Bikyamstr.com: "I think what we are seeing is that the media wants to bring controversy and using the word prostitute sells and gets people to their websites."
After the auction, Migliorini said she would be using the majority of the money to build homes for poverty-stricken families.
Aliana continued: "This is not prostitution. It is a woman's right to raise money using her body. She is not getting the money."
Aliana's view was contested by a Brazilian social worker, who said what Migliorini plans to do with the money is a moot point:
"She will likely raise a lot of money for the cause, but the reality is that selling your body for something should not be an idea that women get behind, whether or not it is for a good cause."
For her part, Migliorini said she does not think she is a prostitute because she only plans to auction her body once.
She told Folha newspaper: "I saw this as a business. I have the opportunity to travel, to be part of a movie and get a bonus with it.
"If you only do it once in your life then you are not a prostitute, just like if you take one amazing photograph it does not automatically make you a photographer.
"The winning bidder will be entitled to get at least an hour with me. More than that, it depends on the moment.
"The buyer cannot act out fantasies, use sex toys, nothing. It is mandatory to use a condom and he can only take my virginity, nothing more. We can talk. But kissing, no. Kissing is not in the contract.
"I imagine it will be a man older than me, but I'm not creating expectation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- 7-Year Old Buried Alive By 'Family' Crawls Out From Under The Ground
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine