Catarina Migliorini Virginity Auction: Brazil Locked in Prostitution Debate
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 9:29 PM EST
The 20-year-old Brazilian student who sold her virginity in an online auction has sparked a national debate in her homeland over prostitution.
Catarina Migliorini, a physical education student currently living in Australia, sold her 'first time' to a Japanese man for £483,000, as part of a documentary project created by filmmaker Jason Sisely.
Joao Pedro de Saboia Bandeira de Mello Filho, the attorney general of Brazil, has reportedly said that Migliorini should be deported back to Brazil for 'the exercise of prostitution' while Sisley should should face sex-trafficking charges.
However, Filho's compatriots appear to be divided on the subject. Aliana, a 21-year-old student, told Bikyamstr.com: "I think what we are seeing is that the media wants to bring controversy and using the word prostitute sells and gets people to their websites."
After the auction, Migliorini said she would be using the majority of the money to build homes for poverty-stricken families.
Aliana continued: "This is not prostitution. It is a woman's right to raise money using her body. She is not getting the money."
Aliana's view was contested by a Brazilian social worker, who said what Migliorini plans to do with the money is a moot point:
"She will likely raise a lot of money for the cause, but the reality is that selling your body for something should not be an idea that women get behind, whether or not it is for a good cause."
For her part, Migliorini said she does not think she is a prostitute because she only plans to auction her body once.
She told Folha newspaper: "I saw this as a business. I have the opportunity to travel, to be part of a movie and get a bonus with it.
"If you only do it once in your life then you are not a prostitute, just like if you take one amazing photograph it does not automatically make you a photographer.
"The winning bidder will be entitled to get at least an hour with me. More than that, it depends on the moment.
"The buyer cannot act out fantasies, use sex toys, nothing. It is mandatory to use a condom and he can only take my virginity, nothing more. We can talk. But kissing, no. Kissing is not in the contract.
"I imagine it will be a man older than me, but I'm not creating expectation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet