Catarina Migliorini Virginity Auction: Brazil Locked in Prostitution Debate
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 9:29 PM EST
The 20-year-old Brazilian student who sold her virginity in an online auction has sparked a national debate in her homeland over prostitution.
Catarina Migliorini, a physical education student currently living in Australia, sold her 'first time' to a Japanese man for £483,000, as part of a documentary project created by filmmaker Jason Sisely.
Joao Pedro de Saboia Bandeira de Mello Filho, the attorney general of Brazil, has reportedly said that Migliorini should be deported back to Brazil for 'the exercise of prostitution' while Sisley should should face sex-trafficking charges.
However, Filho's compatriots appear to be divided on the subject. Aliana, a 21-year-old student, told Bikyamstr.com: "I think what we are seeing is that the media wants to bring controversy and using the word prostitute sells and gets people to their websites."
After the auction, Migliorini said she would be using the majority of the money to build homes for poverty-stricken families.
Aliana continued: "This is not prostitution. It is a woman's right to raise money using her body. She is not getting the money."
Aliana's view was contested by a Brazilian social worker, who said what Migliorini plans to do with the money is a moot point:
"She will likely raise a lot of money for the cause, but the reality is that selling your body for something should not be an idea that women get behind, whether or not it is for a good cause."
For her part, Migliorini said she does not think she is a prostitute because she only plans to auction her body once.
She told Folha newspaper: "I saw this as a business. I have the opportunity to travel, to be part of a movie and get a bonus with it.
"If you only do it once in your life then you are not a prostitute, just like if you take one amazing photograph it does not automatically make you a photographer.
"The winning bidder will be entitled to get at least an hour with me. More than that, it depends on the moment.
"The buyer cannot act out fantasies, use sex toys, nothing. It is mandatory to use a condom and he can only take my virginity, nothing more. We can talk. But kissing, no. Kissing is not in the contract.
"I imagine it will be a man older than me, but I'm not creating expectation."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon