Goldman Sachs shutting South Korea asset management unit
By Joyce Lee and Nishant Kumar | November 13, 2012 8:28 PM EST
South Korea, Asia's third-biggest asset management market, is dominated by domestic institutions and wafer-thin profit margins have made it difficult for companies with sub-scale operations to make an impact.
Goldman's decision to wind down its asset management operations comes at a time when ING Groep NV
Goldman's unit manages about $4 billion in assets and has about 40 staff. While the fate of staff is not clear, the Hong Kong spokesman said Goldman will try to absorb them in other parts of the company.
Goldman will continue to invest in South Korea through its offshore funds management unit, the Hong Kong spokesman added. Goldman moved into the South Korean market by acquiring a joint venture between Macquarie Group
(Reporting by Joyce Lee and Nishant Kumar; Writing by Denny Thomas; Editing by Matt Driskill)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop