Stringent Visa Rules Imposed on Pakistani Cricket Fans
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 13, 2012 8:14 PM EST
The order, issued by Pakistan Home Ministry, was decided in light of the 2007 incident where 12 Pakistanis had gone missing after the bilateral series held in November that year. Those reported missing are yet to be found.
"There will be no relaxation of visa rules for the cricket fans. We cannot compromise our security as it is our prime concern. So, whoever seeks visa, has to name a local sponsor," a Home Ministry official said, according to Press Trust of India.
Under the new rule, Pakistani citizens should meet the prescribed criteria to obtain visa. There is also provision for nationals to apply for multi-city visas.
"The visitors will have to apply with documents including their proof of stay or hotel booking in India, air tickets confirmation and tickets of the matches in advance in case the person is willing to watch the whole series," an official told The Indian Express.
A Pakistani national was earlier eligible to get visa for three cities which can be extended to five cities, if the India-Pakistan visa rule is executed ahead of the commencement of the series, reported PTI.
The matches will be held between Dec 25 and Jan 6.
Home Minister Rehman Malik and then Indian External Affairs Minister S M Krishna signed the India-Pakistan visa pact on Sept 8, that allows relaxation of visa norms for people coming from certain quarters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers