Stringent Visa Rules Imposed on Pakistani Cricket Fans
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 13, 2012 8:14 PM EST
The order, issued by Pakistan Home Ministry, was decided in light of the 2007 incident where 12 Pakistanis had gone missing after the bilateral series held in November that year. Those reported missing are yet to be found.
"There will be no relaxation of visa rules for the cricket fans. We cannot compromise our security as it is our prime concern. So, whoever seeks visa, has to name a local sponsor," a Home Ministry official said, according to Press Trust of India.
Under the new rule, Pakistani citizens should meet the prescribed criteria to obtain visa. There is also provision for nationals to apply for multi-city visas.
"The visitors will have to apply with documents including their proof of stay or hotel booking in India, air tickets confirmation and tickets of the matches in advance in case the person is willing to watch the whole series," an official told The Indian Express.
A Pakistani national was earlier eligible to get visa for three cities which can be extended to five cities, if the India-Pakistan visa rule is executed ahead of the commencement of the series, reported PTI.
The matches will be held between Dec 25 and Jan 6.
Home Minister Rehman Malik and then Indian External Affairs Minister S M Krishna signed the India-Pakistan visa pact on Sept 8, that allows relaxation of visa norms for people coming from certain quarters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013