Total Solar Eclipse November 2012: Watch Online Webcasts, Tweet Photos [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | November 13, 2012 5:34 PM EST
The total solar eclipse Wednesday can be observed via free webcasts. Australians should rise early to share the experience real time with those camping out in Cairns, Queensland. Viewers from other time zones should adjust your clocks accordingly.
The total solar eclipse at its peak will last 2mins 4secs for observers near Oak Beach, just south of Port Douglas. This peak is expected to begin within the 6:37am to 6:39am window. Web broadcasts will start as early as 5am.
Other parts of Australia will experience only a partial solar eclipse.
So, where can you watch webcasts of the total solar eclipse?
Bookmark or go to this URL for a UStream webcast of the solar eclipse. Broadcast will begin at 5am AEST on November 14 (Wednesday).
Slooh.com has sent a crew in Cairns to film the eclipse and stream the video to the eclipse observers online. You can watch Slooh's pre-eclipse show now. (See one of the prep videos below.) Other videos can be viewed here.
From an astronomer's point of view
Even for scientists who have observed numerous eclipses in their career are still thrilled to anticipate Wednesday's total solar eclipse. Take for instance Jay Pasachoff of Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts.
Speaking to Space.com, Pasachoff said:
"It is very wonderful to be uncovering part of the mysteries about the sun's atmosphere and magnetic field, and to be outdoors surrounded by the darkening of a solar eclipse is a primarily fabulous experience."
Twitter upates on total solar eclipse
Enhance your solar eclipse experience by sharing eclipse photos via Twitter. Some users have already started tweeting about the cosmic event. Read sample tweets below:
Weather is looking GREAT for #solareclipse (exc maybe SEQ) - here's the rain forecast for 4am-10am Wed 14 Nov - Queensland Online @QLDOnline
Brisbane Planetarium and other well know science stores are all out of stock for #solareclipse glasses. - Josh Bavas @joshbavas
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine