FBI Searches David Petraeus's Mistress Paula Broadwell's Home
By Geetha Pillai | November 13, 2012 4:42 PM EST
FBI officials are searching the home of Paula Broadwell, the woman with whom former CIA director David Petraeus had an extramarital affair.
Agents arrived at the Broadwell home, all carrying briefcases, plastic tubs and cardboard boxes, shortly before 21:00 local time (02:00 GMT) and the search was going on even after two hours. It was not clear whether Broadwell or any of her family members were at the home.
Though the FBI spokeswoman in Charlotte Shelley Lynch confirmed the search, she did not divulge further details.
According to a WSOC-TV report, Broadwell and her family have decided to keep a low profile in the wake of the latest developments.
"She said the family is together and that they're doing OK and that they're at an undisclosed place," said neighbour Ed Williams.
"She's not attempting to defend herself. And it's not because of guilt. It's because she's afraid, like I would be, that anything she says can be twisted and used against her," said veteran David Bixler.
The FBI began the investigation as a suspected cyber-harassment case between Broadwell and another friend of Petraeus, Jill Kelley. The agency tracked the threatening messages, which Kelley complained of, to Broadwell.
However, there was no suggestion that Kelley, a Tampa resident and a married socialite, had an affair with the former CIA director.
The agency maintained that they withheld the findings on Petraeus's extramarital affair and the exchange of mails from the White House and law makers because they considered it as a criminal investigation into possible violation of any federal cyber-harassment statutes, which never turn up as an intelligence probe. Moreover, Petraeus never was the focus of the investigation since the evidence did not suggest violation of any law by him.
Petraeus himself acknowledged his behavior a "colossal mistake."
Both Petraeus and Broadwell were careful in their affair that they left the messages in the draft folder of their private email accounts allowing each other to access it instead of sending them, according to an Associated Press report.
Though classified documents were found in Broadwell's computer, Petraeus told the investigators that he had never given out classified information to Broadwell.
The investigation into Broadwell's home suggests the investigators are taking the probe into a much larger level. Since adultery is illegal under military law, Petraeus will be in more trouble, if evidences crop up indicating the affair started before he left army. He may even have to face military prosecution.
Petraeus became the CIA director in September 2011 after spending over 37 years in army.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time