Gold Prices Rise on Festive Demand
November 13, 2012 3:41 PM EST
At 03:37 pm IST, the most active gold for December delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) was 0.77 percent higher at 31,887 rupees per 10 grams, after hitting a high of 31,937 rupees.
The rupee, which fell to a two-month low on Monday, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
"Gold prices are moving up due to higher demand in the physical markets. Imports will resume in the next few days due to the higher demand in the festival and wedding seasons," said Aurobinda Prasad, head of research at Karvy Comtrade.
Diwali, the festival of lights, will be celebrated on Tuesday while the wedding season will continue. Traditionally, both are occasions for buying gold.
Overseas gold edged up on Monday, after posting its biggest weekly gain since late August, on safe-haven buying, driven by worries that the United States could return to recession if Congress fails to reach a deficit-reduction deal.
Silver also moved higher following gold.
Silver for December delivery on the MCX was 0.83 percent higher at 61,425 rupees per kg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report