Gold Prices Rise on Festive Demand
November 13, 2012 3:41 PM EST
At 03:37 pm IST, the most active gold for December delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX) was 0.77 percent higher at 31,887 rupees per 10 grams, after hitting a high of 31,937 rupees.
The rupee, which fell to a two-month low on Monday, plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal.
"Gold prices are moving up due to higher demand in the physical markets. Imports will resume in the next few days due to the higher demand in the festival and wedding seasons," said Aurobinda Prasad, head of research at Karvy Comtrade.
Diwali, the festival of lights, will be celebrated on Tuesday while the wedding season will continue. Traditionally, both are occasions for buying gold.
Overseas gold edged up on Monday, after posting its biggest weekly gain since late August, on safe-haven buying, driven by worries that the United States could return to recession if Congress fails to reach a deficit-reduction deal.
Silver also moved higher following gold.
Silver for December delivery on the MCX was 0.83 percent higher at 61,425 rupees per kg.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans