Jeff Gordon Fined For Fight With Clint Bowyer By NASCAR, Avoids Suspension
By Charles Poladian | November 13, 2012 2:07 PM EST
Jeff Gordon has been fined a huge chunk of change for deliberately running into Clint Bowyer Sunday, causing both drivers to crash. The incident turned into a giant fight between crew members in the pit lanes.
NASCAR has fined Jeff Gordon $100,000 for intentionally causing Clint Bowyer to crash at Phoenix International Raceway, reports The Associated Press. Gordon will also be docked 25 points and will be put on probation.
Gordon intentionally wrecked Bowyer on the second-to-last lap of the race as a retaliatory move, NASCAR said. Earlier in the year, Bowyer had run into Gordon, causing a wreck that also involved Jimmy Johnson, reports USA Today. Earlier in Sunday's race at Phoenix, Bowyer had bumped into Gordon, which prompted Gordon to slow down and deliberately wreck Bowyer.
At the beginning of the race, Bowyer was in third place in the NASCAR Sprint Cup standings, but thanks to the wreck, he dropped to fourth place. The pileup also drew in Joey Logano and Aric Almirola, while Brad Keselowski managed to avoid it and take over first place, reports AP.
Gordon issued a statement: “I take responsibility for my actions on the racetrack, I accept NASCAR’s decision and look forward to ending the season on a high note at Homestead,” reports AP.
Even though the wreck involved Bowyer, a contender in the Sprint Cup series with just one race left, Gordon has a pretty clean record with NASCAR and that's why he avoided suspension, according to Yahoo Sports.
In addition to Gordon's fine, Bowyer's crew chief, Brian Pattie, was fined $25,000 for being unable to control his crew during the fight on pit road. Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports and Gordon's boss, was docked 25 owner points while Gordon's crew chief, Alan Gustafson, was placed on probation, reports AP.
According to Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition, "We consider the penalties appropriate and those involved understand our decision and we expect them to abide by them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports