Click Frenzy as Australia’s Cyber Monday: Should we get Excited?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | November 13, 2012 1:58 PM EST
It is the popular event in United States' market where people avail and enjoy great online deals.
Co-founder of Click Frenzy Grant Arnott said that it is important for Australian retailers to take advantage of this opportunity to participate on online sales before Christmas.
"The retail community has been supportive of the idea and they've been very keen to explore what we're doing," Garnett said.
Myer, Target, Westfield, Dick Smith, Jeanswest, Bras N Things, The Iconic and StyleTread are some of the retailers involved in this year's sale, which will last 24 hours starting on Tuesday night.
It is speculated that Click Frenzy is trying to win back Australian consumers who go shopping online on American websites as they offer cheap shipping rates to Australia. Local shoppers take part in Cyber Monday like any other customer since transactions are online.
Given the debate over how much international stores are "stealing" local retail trade, local involvement in a sale like this is deemed necessary to convince Australian shoppers local stores are still relevant.
"The overwhelming majority of shoppers do shop from Australian retailers, and I certainly think that they can make a stand online and showcase their best offers so they don't get swept away," Arnott said.
Cyber Monday started in 2005 after retailers noticed a spike in traffic after Black Friday sales. While Black Friday is usually the biggest day of the retail calendar in the United States, Cyber Monday is slowly gaining popularity - last year the day generated US$1.2 billion in sales.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates