The Mentalist: Patrick Jane Goes on Live TV, Could Bob Kirkland be Red John?
By Arlene Paredes | November 13, 2012 1:03 PM EST
"The Mentalist" loses a bit of thrill when Red John does not seem to be lurking nearby, making his presence felt somehow. But when Patrick Jane goes live on TV, viewers can be sure Red John is watching. And when a questionable new character, such as Bob Kirkland is introduced, suspicion alarm goes off.
Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) goes on live television in the latest episode of "The Mentalist" (Season 5 Episode 7: If It Bleeds, It Leads). The TV appearance is part of his scheme to catch a news anchor.
The Mentalist New Characters: Tommy Volker, Bob Kirkland
Two curious characters appear in "If it Bleeds." One appears to be a regular bad guy, the other stinks of an evil vibe. The regular bad guy, Tommy Volker (Henry Ian Cusick), watches closely as a woman is killed by his hired assassin. (Okay, he may not be a regular bad guy, but the other new character could be a lot worse.)
The other character with the evil vibe is Bob Kirkland (Kevin Corrigan), purportedly from Homeland Security. He first brought an ominous feel to the series when he first appeared in "Red Dawn," the 100th episode of The Mentalist. In that flashback episode, Kirkland is seen on board a limo with FBI agent Alexa Shultz (Polly Walker). Shultz asks CBI chief Virgil Minelli to report any updates on the Red John case. That way, she says, she could report properly to her boss. She then turns to Kirkland, and tells him, "Done." From that scene alone, it does seem Bob Kirkland is Red John. (But this couldn't be that easy, right?)
Up next, Episode 8: "Red Sails in the Sunset"
Flash forward to "If it Bleeds." Bob Kirkland introduces himself to Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney). He tells her to pull back on the Volker chase. Then he bumps into Jane on the hallway. The way Kirkland hints to Jane that he knew the CBI consultant is just loaded. He could either be Red John himself or someone with the same agenda as Jane - a personal vengeance against RJ.
Next week in "Red Sails in the Sunset," both Lorelei (Emmanuelle Chriqui) and Bob are set to return. Avid viewers should not miss it.
"The Mentalist" viewers shout out on Twitter
Love that Patrick Jane's role is getting darker as the episodes progress :) - @z_Snow_z
Another Patrick Jane v Red John ep... hell yeah! #thementalist - @michaeljphelan
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6