The Mentalist: Patrick Jane Goes on Live TV, Could Bob Kirkland be Red John?
By Arlene Paredes | November 13, 2012 1:03 PM EST
"The Mentalist" loses a bit of thrill when Red John does not seem to be lurking nearby, making his presence felt somehow. But when Patrick Jane goes live on TV, viewers can be sure Red John is watching. And when a questionable new character, such as Bob Kirkland is introduced, suspicion alarm goes off.
Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) goes on live television in the latest episode of "The Mentalist" (Season 5 Episode 7: If It Bleeds, It Leads). The TV appearance is part of his scheme to catch a news anchor.
The Mentalist New Characters: Tommy Volker, Bob Kirkland
Two curious characters appear in "If it Bleeds." One appears to be a regular bad guy, the other stinks of an evil vibe. The regular bad guy, Tommy Volker (Henry Ian Cusick), watches closely as a woman is killed by his hired assassin. (Okay, he may not be a regular bad guy, but the other new character could be a lot worse.)
The other character with the evil vibe is Bob Kirkland (Kevin Corrigan), purportedly from Homeland Security. He first brought an ominous feel to the series when he first appeared in "Red Dawn," the 100th episode of The Mentalist. In that flashback episode, Kirkland is seen on board a limo with FBI agent Alexa Shultz (Polly Walker). Shultz asks CBI chief Virgil Minelli to report any updates on the Red John case. That way, she says, she could report properly to her boss. She then turns to Kirkland, and tells him, "Done." From that scene alone, it does seem Bob Kirkland is Red John. (But this couldn't be that easy, right?)
Up next, Episode 8: "Red Sails in the Sunset"
Flash forward to "If it Bleeds." Bob Kirkland introduces himself to Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney). He tells her to pull back on the Volker chase. Then he bumps into Jane on the hallway. The way Kirkland hints to Jane that he knew the CBI consultant is just loaded. He could either be Red John himself or someone with the same agenda as Jane - a personal vengeance against RJ.
Next week in "Red Sails in the Sunset," both Lorelei (Emmanuelle Chriqui) and Bob are set to return. Avid viewers should not miss it.
"The Mentalist" viewers shout out on Twitter
Love that Patrick Jane's role is getting darker as the episodes progress :) - @z_Snow_z
Another Patrick Jane v Red John ep... hell yeah! #thementalist - @michaeljphelan
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation