iPad Demise Predicted, Surging iPad Mini as its Likely Killer --Analysts
By Erik Pineda | November 13, 2012 12:05 PM EST
After more than two years of reign, a rival tablet appears to be gathering enough steam that tech experts seem convinced an iPad killer is now on the horizon.
The threat, however, is not an Android or Windows slate and in fact can actually be called as an enemy within because Apple itself produced what could shortly turn out as the magical brick that finally sidelined the regular-sized iPad, which the tech giant said has already sold more than 100 million units.
In due time though, according to analysts (or more appropriately, iPad enthusiasts), such overwhelming numbers would be attached to a fresh Apple brand, the iPad Mini that saw its commercial debut two weekends ago.
And judging from global feedbacks, the reception that the Mini has been generating was nothing short of phenomenal. In fact, Apple's inventory of the small iPad sibling is already depleted as reported by the company boss, Tim Cook, only three days after the product was made available to global stores.
As far as Apple fanboys are concerned, the Mini is their choice of tablet, The Daily Ticker reported on Monday, for one obvious reason - they fell in love with the size and mobility that come with the new tablet.
Previous iPad users have discovered that Apple was dead serious when it declared that no compromise was deployed with the tablet. It literally performs everything that its predecessor can do, never mind that it's a bit pricey for its size and Apple has deliberately withheld the much-loved Retina display rendering.
For the average users, or at least those not yet pampered by Retina, the visual quality separating the iPad and the Mini is a non-issue, the tech blog site added.
Citing analyst Dan Frommer, it is likely, The Ticker said, that "Mini sales will soon surpass full-size iPad sales and become Apple's second-best selling gadget after the iPhone."
Yet some experts, while not countering the forecast, were rather more subdued. They think the succeeding Mini editions will be the ones to render the iPad classic obsolete. By that time, Apple would have adjusted the tablet's retail price, making it more affordable, and would have pushed its processing muscle to higher levels, leaving others and its own iPad to eat dust.
And the competition will only get more exciting as analyst toy with gadget specs and capabilities that Apple rival would unleash to again check its formidable dominance, which as proven by Samsung is possible with the Galaxy S3's feat of dethroning the iPhone as the bestselling smartphone brand.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown