After Taking Smartphone Crown from Apple, Samsung Now Threatens to Grab Tablet Sales Top Spot
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 13, 2012 11:42 AM EST
After topping smartphone sales the past three quarters in effect taking away the smartphone crown from Apple, South Korean tech firm Samsung is now threatening to also dislodge the California-based company from its top spot in the tablet market.
For the third quarter, Apple shares in the tablet market went down to 50.4 per cent from 60 per cent while sales of Samsung tablets grew 325 per cent year-over-year, eWeek reports, citing IDC's Nov 5 report.
"Samsung offers a wide range of tablet offerings across multiple screen sizes and colors, and that clearly resonated with more buyers this quarter . . . . Its growth to 18.4 per cent of worldwide market share during the quarter represents the first time a competitor has attained this level of share since the original launch of the iPad," eWeek quoted IDC Mobile Device Trackers Program Manager Ryan Reith.
Since Apple Computer came out in the 1970s with the Macintosh brand and with its launch the past few years of the iPhone, Apple has dominated the smartphone market..
As the smartphones evolved, Apple introduced its own version of tablet computers which improved the size, screen display, and functions of the laptop computer such as the keyboards, now replaced by a virtual one.
While Samsung grabbed the lead in smartphone sales the past three quarters, Apple's iPad, which runs on iOS, is still the bestseller. Proof of Apple's dominance is that about 90 per cent of all web traffic from tablets are from different models of iPads.
The new threat of Apple's table crown comes from Phablets (Phone + Tablet compact size) such as Samsung's Galaxy Note 2.
Despite the threat, a lot of Apple users, fans, and consumers prefer the Apple brand even with all the advanced features from other smartphone brands. Below are six reasons why Apple users remain loyal to the brand.
Design and Body
The design of iPhone back from its earlier version is unique and the first with full screen function, touch screen capacity, and intelligent software which accommodate the user's need. The thin and sleek design is also available to iPad, iPod, and Macbook.
Battery life is one of the dozen of issues in mobile devices. It measures the duration of the device's life upon usage. Mobile connection either for data or mobile functions adds up to the drain especially during period of no signal when the device isn't in Flight Mode. Apple devices are generally equipped with good battery life compared to other manufacturers. iPad and MacBook batteries have good endurance even during games for few to several hourst. For Apple-device owners who used their gadget mainly for Internet browsing, the battery life lasts more. Common laptops usually last for 2 to 3 hours.
Having a good flash does not necessarily translate into higher quality for image capture. Apple devices are known to capture good shots even in dark or dim lightning when compared to other brands which have the same megapixel and similar lightning conditions.
iOS is the software being used by all Apple devices. It is an exclusive, closed operating system created, monitored, and developed by Apple. Applications downloadable from the Apple Store are strictly regulated by Apple. Features like Safari, FaceTime, and iTunes, when used with iOS, offer more privileges when compared to Windows-run devices.
Apple devices look basically the same across different models and units. Its homescreen design, transitional effects, and smooth touch response are often well-appreciated by users. The combination of exclusive design, exclusive software, and exclusive interface explains why users remain loyal to Apple.
Since Apple has a closed-based software and applications, the security level of Apple devices have less vulnerability than with Android ones. Applications created by users or brands are regulated and analyzed by Apple Store. All can only be accessed through it. Videos are limited to streaming only because of the Apple's principle against piracy.
Jailbreak is a vulnerability identified with iPhone units, a device state similar to Rooting in Android. The state requires programmes which penetrate and change the normal setting inside the operating system. Jailbreak allows some things that aren't normally activated in the original state of iPhone. Applications and games are downloaded free, capable of searching more free applications even the ones not regulated by the App Store. While that is one security flaw of Apple devices, a lot of Apple users view it as an alternative way to maximise the iPhone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists