Paraguay Arrests Top Criminal In Major Drug Bust
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 13, 2012 10:08 AM EST
Paraguayan authorities have apprehended the country’s most wanted criminal in a drug bust seizing more than 3,700 pounds of cocaine.
Ezequiel de Souza was arrested along with 19 other men at a ranch in in northeastern Paraguay’s Canindeyu district, where they intended to transport the drugs on small planes into neighboring countries, authorities said.
Marco Antonio Rocca Ali, believed to be a Bolivian drug lord, was also arrested in the raid, the BBC reported.
Paraguayan President Federico Franco praised the operation carried out by 40 agents, which police said was the South American country’s largest drug seizure this year.
"Paraguay is committed to fight drug-trafficking," Franco said, according to the BBC. "It will become known abroad as a sovereign nation, not as a drug-trafficking country."
Paraguay is bordered on the northwest by Bolivia, a major cocaine producer, and has become a regional hub for drug trafficking, particularly into neighboring Brazil, which has become the world’s second-largest consumer of cocaine after the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?