Paraguay Arrests Top Criminal In Major Drug Bust
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 13, 2012 10:08 AM EST
Paraguayan authorities have apprehended the country’s most wanted criminal in a drug bust seizing more than 3,700 pounds of cocaine.
Ezequiel de Souza was arrested along with 19 other men at a ranch in in northeastern Paraguay’s Canindeyu district, where they intended to transport the drugs on small planes into neighboring countries, authorities said.
Marco Antonio Rocca Ali, believed to be a Bolivian drug lord, was also arrested in the raid, the BBC reported.
Paraguayan President Federico Franco praised the operation carried out by 40 agents, which police said was the South American country’s largest drug seizure this year.
"Paraguay is committed to fight drug-trafficking," Franco said, according to the BBC. "It will become known abroad as a sovereign nation, not as a drug-trafficking country."
Paraguay is bordered on the northwest by Bolivia, a major cocaine producer, and has become a regional hub for drug trafficking, particularly into neighboring Brazil, which has become the world’s second-largest consumer of cocaine after the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports