Glitch prevents trade in over 200 stocks on the NYSE
November 13, 2012 9:14 AM EST
There were no closing auctions in the affected stocks and a list of the official closing prices for the securities, based on the consolidated last sale, was distributed via email and NYSE's website.
The NYSE first alerted traders it was having problems with one of its cash equity matching engines at 9:38 a.m. and it said it would not publish quotes on a total of 216 stocks, including CVS Caremark Corp
Nasdaq OMX Group Inc
"Orders were coming in, but those who were issuing the orders were not getting their confirmations or their reports, so we felt it was best to zero it out, if you will, and then to suspend trading of those stocks on our market," said Rich Adamonis, an NYSE spokesman.
The NYSE said any open orders should be considered canceled.
Adamonis said the server issues were still being investigated at around 3 p.m., but added that they came as the stock symbols were being moved over to a new trading platform.
The NYSE said it "anticipates a normal trading day in all securities" on Tuesday.
The transatlantic exchange operator is in the process of moving all of its markets - including bonds, options, futures and cash equities - in the United States and Europe to a universal electronic trading platform.
The New York-based company's European markets have been fully integrated with the new system and the exchange is now in the process of moving over its roughly 3,800 U.S. cash equities issues to the new platform, with about 800 having migrated so far, Adamonis said.
The migration will continue to be rolled out through the rest of the year, he added.
NYSE shares closed up 1.4 percent at $23.26.
(Reporting By John McCrank; Editing by Leslie Adler and Andre Grenon)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display