Glitch prevents trade in over 200 stocks on the NYSE
November 13, 2012 9:14 AM EST
There were no closing auctions in the affected stocks and a list of the official closing prices for the securities, based on the consolidated last sale, was distributed via email and NYSE's website.
The NYSE first alerted traders it was having problems with one of its cash equity matching engines at 9:38 a.m. and it said it would not publish quotes on a total of 216 stocks, including CVS Caremark Corp
Nasdaq OMX Group Inc
"Orders were coming in, but those who were issuing the orders were not getting their confirmations or their reports, so we felt it was best to zero it out, if you will, and then to suspend trading of those stocks on our market," said Rich Adamonis, an NYSE spokesman.
The NYSE said any open orders should be considered canceled.
Adamonis said the server issues were still being investigated at around 3 p.m., but added that they came as the stock symbols were being moved over to a new trading platform.
The NYSE said it "anticipates a normal trading day in all securities" on Tuesday.
The transatlantic exchange operator is in the process of moving all of its markets - including bonds, options, futures and cash equities - in the United States and Europe to a universal electronic trading platform.
The New York-based company's European markets have been fully integrated with the new system and the exchange is now in the process of moving over its roughly 3,800 U.S. cash equities issues to the new platform, with about 800 having migrated so far, Adamonis said.
The migration will continue to be rolled out through the rest of the year, he added.
NYSE shares closed up 1.4 percent at $23.26.
(Reporting By John McCrank; Editing by Leslie Adler and Andre Grenon)
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan