Glitch prevents trading in over 200 stocks on the NYSE
November 13, 2012 8:49 AM EST
There will be no closing auctions in the affected stocks, and a list of the official closing prices for the securities, based on the consolidated last sale, will be distributed via email and NYSE's website, the exchange operator said.
NYSE first alerted traders it was having problems with one of its cash equity matching engines at 9:38 a.m., and it said it would not publish quotes on a total of 216 stocks, including CVS Caremark Corp
Nasdaq OMX Group
"Orders were coming in, but those who were issuing the orders were not getting their confirmations or their reports, so we felt it was best to zero it out, if you will, and then to suspend trading of those stocks on our market," said Rich Adamonis, an NYSE spokesman.
NYSE said that any open orders should be considered canceled.
Adamonis said the server issues were still being investigated at around 3 p.m., but said they came as the issues were being moved over to a new trading platform.
NYSE is in the process of moving all of its markets - including bonds, options, futures and cash equities - in the United States and Europe to a universal electronic trading platform.
The New York-based company's European markets have been fully integrated with the new system, and the exchange is now in the process of moving over its roughly 3,800 U.S. cash equities issues to the new platform, with about 800 having been migrated so far, Adamonis said.
The migration will continue to be rolled out through the rest of the year, he added.
(Reporting By John McCrank; Editing by Leslie Adler)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues