Dodgers Trade Rumors: Torii Hunter to Join L.A? Andre Ethier Out?
November 13, 2012 8:00 AM EST
No team was more active in the 2012 MLB season than Los Angeles Dodgers. Now, it appears they are ready to make some major moves in the offseason.
According to ESPN, L.A. has contacted Torii Hunter about joining the club. The team has approached the free agent about signing a two-year contract.
Hunter is one of the best available hitters on the market. At 37 years old, he won’t command a very big salary. Still, Hunter could be a very big asset for Los Angeles in 2013.
In his 15th professional season, Hunter set a career-high, hitting .313. He drove in 92 runs, his best RBI total since 2007, and registered his best WAR at 5.5.
If Hunter decides to play for the Dodgers, he’ll be joining a somewhat crowded outfield. Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford are all under contract for at least five more years. However, all three have questions surrounding them, going into next season.
Both Kemp and Crawford have injury concerns. Kemp should be ready for Opening Day 2013, but he underwent shoulder surgery at the end of this past season. His missed 56 games and doctors were surprised to see how damaged his shoulder actually was.
Crawford’s injury is more serious. Los Angeles acquired him from the Boston Red Sox after he underwent Tommy John Surgery on his left elbow. He could be ready by spring training, but it could take the outfielder nine months to make a full recovery.
Hunter would act as an insurance policy to either one of the Dodgers injured outfielders. Even if Crawford is able to pay most of the 2013 season, he still has to prove that he can be a productive major league starter. He was barely able to do so in his time with the Red Sox.
Ethier is healthy, but there’s a chance he won’t play for the Dodgers at all in 2013. If both Kemp and Crawford are on track to be ready to start the year, ESPN is reporting that L.A. might trade Ethier.
It might come as a surprise if the Dodgers deal Ethier. He recently signed a five-year contract extension with the club, and had a very productive 2012 season, hitting 20 home runs and driving in 89 runs.
With an influx of outfielders, Los Angeles might see this as an opportunity to acquire another front of the rotation starter. Coming off an MVP-type season in 2011, L.A. probably isn’t willing to trade Kemp. Crawford is practically untradeable, with one of the worst contracts in baseball.
The Dodgers might be able to package Ethier for a legitimate No.2 starter. After Clayton Kershaw, L.A. lacks another dominant starter. Trading Ethier might help them land a top of the line, albeit pricey, starting pitcher.
The market for free agent starting pitchers is very scarce this offseason. Other than Zack Greinke, there isn’t a viable, top tier starter available. Trading Ethier might be the Dodgers best chance to bolster their rotation.
Hunter stated in a recent interview that he would sign with a new team fairly quickly. The New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies and Seattle Mariners are among other teams that have expressed interest in the former L.A Angels player.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- 10 Celebrities Who Took The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Chris Pratt & LeBron James [VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff