Dodgers Trade Rumors: Torii Hunter to Join L.A? Andre Ethier Out?
November 13, 2012 8:00 AM EST
No team was more active in the 2012 MLB season than Los Angeles Dodgers. Now, it appears they are ready to make some major moves in the offseason.
According to ESPN, L.A. has contacted Torii Hunter about joining the club. The team has approached the free agent about signing a two-year contract.
Hunter is one of the best available hitters on the market. At 37 years old, he won’t command a very big salary. Still, Hunter could be a very big asset for Los Angeles in 2013.
In his 15th professional season, Hunter set a career-high, hitting .313. He drove in 92 runs, his best RBI total since 2007, and registered his best WAR at 5.5.
If Hunter decides to play for the Dodgers, he’ll be joining a somewhat crowded outfield. Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford are all under contract for at least five more years. However, all three have questions surrounding them, going into next season.
Both Kemp and Crawford have injury concerns. Kemp should be ready for Opening Day 2013, but he underwent shoulder surgery at the end of this past season. His missed 56 games and doctors were surprised to see how damaged his shoulder actually was.
Crawford’s injury is more serious. Los Angeles acquired him from the Boston Red Sox after he underwent Tommy John Surgery on his left elbow. He could be ready by spring training, but it could take the outfielder nine months to make a full recovery.
Hunter would act as an insurance policy to either one of the Dodgers injured outfielders. Even if Crawford is able to pay most of the 2013 season, he still has to prove that he can be a productive major league starter. He was barely able to do so in his time with the Red Sox.
Ethier is healthy, but there’s a chance he won’t play for the Dodgers at all in 2013. If both Kemp and Crawford are on track to be ready to start the year, ESPN is reporting that L.A. might trade Ethier.
It might come as a surprise if the Dodgers deal Ethier. He recently signed a five-year contract extension with the club, and had a very productive 2012 season, hitting 20 home runs and driving in 89 runs.
With an influx of outfielders, Los Angeles might see this as an opportunity to acquire another front of the rotation starter. Coming off an MVP-type season in 2011, L.A. probably isn’t willing to trade Kemp. Crawford is practically untradeable, with one of the worst contracts in baseball.
The Dodgers might be able to package Ethier for a legitimate No.2 starter. After Clayton Kershaw, L.A. lacks another dominant starter. Trading Ethier might help them land a top of the line, albeit pricey, starting pitcher.
The market for free agent starting pitchers is very scarce this offseason. Other than Zack Greinke, there isn’t a viable, top tier starter available. Trading Ethier might be the Dodgers best chance to bolster their rotation.
Hunter stated in a recent interview that he would sign with a new team fairly quickly. The New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies and Seattle Mariners are among other teams that have expressed interest in the former L.A Angels player.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6