Kodak in financing deal to leave bankruptcy: source
By Nick Brown | November 13, 2012 4:49 AM EST
Eastman Kodak Co
The deal, which needs bankruptcy court approval, would provide Kodak with $793 million in loans on the condition that it receive at least $500 million for a patent portfolio it has been trying to sell for more than a year, the person said.
The financing is also contingent on the company selling all or a portion of its document imaging and personalized imaging businesses, which were also put up for sale, the person said.
Kodak filed for Chapter 11 protection in January in hopes of selling its intellectual property portfolio, but bids have been lower than hoped. It remains in talks for a patent sale with potential buyers, including Apple Inc and Google Inc
Disposing of its intellectual property and imaging assets would mean a restructured Kodak would largely be out of the consumer business, focusing instead on its commercial imaging businesses.
Kodak had no immediate comment.
The bondholders funding Kodak's loans, which include Centerbridge Partners and a JPMorgan Chase & Co
Some of those second-lien holders on Monday filed court papers objecting to Kodak's request to keep exclusive control of its bankruptcy process through February 28.
The request, which needs court approval, would bar creditors from pushing competing restructuring plans.
(Reporting By Nick Brown; editing by John Wallace and Kenneth Barry)
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast