$2,000 Gold Likely Next Year, Says Barrick CEO
By jturbin | November 13, 2012 4:15 AM EST
The price of gold is likely to rise to a new record high above $2,000 an ounce in 2013, according to the head of the world’s largest gold mining company.
Jamie Sokalsky, CEO of Barrick Gold (ABX), stated on the sidelines of an industry conference on Monday that “We could see $2,000 and higher within the next year…the fundamentals for gold at still looking very positive.”
“If demand continues to rise, which we think it will through China buying more gold, more investment demand for gold, (and) central banks continuing buying more gold rather than selling as they used to, I feel quite comfortable predicting that gold prices will within the next year be at $2,000, perhaps higher,” Sokalsky added. “It’s going to be a demand-driven type of move.”
(For more gold price commentary and predictions, check out GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com)
When asked if slower economic growth in China could dim the prospects for the yellow metal, the Barrick CEO responded that “I don’t see anything other than a soft landing” for the Chinese economy.
The price of gold reached its current all-time record high of $1,923 per ounce on September 6th, 2011. Its highest level thus far in 2012 was $1,798, reached on October 1st.
Shares of ABX moved lower alongside the gold stocks sector on Monday, falling by $0.31, or 0.9%, to $35.76 in mid-day trading.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight