$2,000 Gold Likely Next Year, Says Barrick CEO
By jturbin | November 13, 2012 4:15 AM EST
The price of gold is likely to rise to a new record high above $2,000 an ounce in 2013, according to the head of the world’s largest gold mining company.
Jamie Sokalsky, CEO of Barrick Gold (ABX), stated on the sidelines of an industry conference on Monday that “We could see $2,000 and higher within the next year…the fundamentals for gold at still looking very positive.”
“If demand continues to rise, which we think it will through China buying more gold, more investment demand for gold, (and) central banks continuing buying more gold rather than selling as they used to, I feel quite comfortable predicting that gold prices will within the next year be at $2,000, perhaps higher,” Sokalsky added. “It’s going to be a demand-driven type of move.”
(For more gold price commentary and predictions, check out GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com)
When asked if slower economic growth in China could dim the prospects for the yellow metal, the Barrick CEO responded that “I don’t see anything other than a soft landing” for the Chinese economy.
The price of gold reached its current all-time record high of $1,923 per ounce on September 6th, 2011. Its highest level thus far in 2012 was $1,798, reached on October 1st.
Shares of ABX moved lower alongside the gold stocks sector on Monday, falling by $0.31, or 0.9%, to $35.76 in mid-day trading.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales