$2,000 Gold Likely Next Year, Says Barrick CEO
By jturbin | November 13, 2012 4:15 AM EST
The price of gold is likely to rise to a new record high above $2,000 an ounce in 2013, according to the head of the world’s largest gold mining company.
Jamie Sokalsky, CEO of Barrick Gold (ABX), stated on the sidelines of an industry conference on Monday that “We could see $2,000 and higher within the next year…the fundamentals for gold at still looking very positive.”
“If demand continues to rise, which we think it will through China buying more gold, more investment demand for gold, (and) central banks continuing buying more gold rather than selling as they used to, I feel quite comfortable predicting that gold prices will within the next year be at $2,000, perhaps higher,” Sokalsky added. “It’s going to be a demand-driven type of move.”
(For more gold price commentary and predictions, check out GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com)
When asked if slower economic growth in China could dim the prospects for the yellow metal, the Barrick CEO responded that “I don’t see anything other than a soft landing” for the Chinese economy.
The price of gold reached its current all-time record high of $1,923 per ounce on September 6th, 2011. Its highest level thus far in 2012 was $1,798, reached on October 1st.
Shares of ABX moved lower alongside the gold stocks sector on Monday, falling by $0.31, or 0.9%, to $35.76 in mid-day trading.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch