Tyson Fury Handed Stern Test Against Kevin Johnson
By Adrian Back | November 13, 2012 3:20 AM EST
Tyson Fury will take a massive step towards a world title fight in 2013 when he meets Kevin 'Kingpin' Johnson at Belfast's Odyssey Arena on December 1.
The American heavyweight will come to Belfast to boost his own world title credentials, having previously taken WBC World heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko the distance in 2009.
Fury expects Johnson, whose record reads 28 wins, two defeats and a draw, to be his hardest opponent to date and believes the fans at the Odyssey will be in for a real treat.
"Johnson is just the kind of opponent that I want at this stage of my career," said Fury. "We needed a world class fighter and we have got one and when I take him apart the world will sit up and take notice.
"I'm not going around getting opponents out of graveyards, fighting guys well past their best like some other heavyweights in Britain, I'm taking on Kevin Johnson who has fought for a major world title and been the distance with Vitali Klitschko.
"I am getting closer to a shot at Klitschko myself and I'm going to show Vitali why he has to fight me because when I do a number on Johnson and get him out of there I'll have done a better job than Vitali did on him.
"I'm really looking forward to fighting again in Belfast, the support I get there is great and to bring such a big fight there is terrific for the fans. Johnson is going to be tough, he's a hard man but I'll be in the best shape of my life. The fans can expect fireworks, that's for sure."
Former World heavyweight title challenger Johnson is coming to Belfast full of confidence with his sights set on railroading Fury's world title aspirations.
"I'm excited about the opportunity to step into the ring with Tyson Fury on December 1, in Belfast.," revealed Johnson. "It's a fight that I've been looking to make for a long time. It's going to be the best American fighter against the best fighter in the U.K.
"I give Tyson all the credit in the world for stepping up to the plate and taking the fight. This is the biggest fight of my career since my world title fight against Vitali Klitschko in 2009 and I look forward to giving the fans what they deserve, an action packed, explosive and exciting fight."
"Tyson is a helluva fighter but he's never seen anything like the "Kingpin" up close and personal. I'm on a mission to claim the heavyweight title and Tyson Fury is in my way. I'm not Derek Chisora or Neven Pajkic. I'm the real deal and Tyson will find that out on December 1. Don't blink, its going to be a short night."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko