Tyson Fury Handed Stern Test Against Kevin Johnson
By Adrian Back | November 13, 2012 3:20 AM EST
Tyson Fury will take a massive step towards a world title fight in 2013 when he meets Kevin 'Kingpin' Johnson at Belfast's Odyssey Arena on December 1.
The American heavyweight will come to Belfast to boost his own world title credentials, having previously taken WBC World heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko the distance in 2009.
Fury expects Johnson, whose record reads 28 wins, two defeats and a draw, to be his hardest opponent to date and believes the fans at the Odyssey will be in for a real treat.
"Johnson is just the kind of opponent that I want at this stage of my career," said Fury. "We needed a world class fighter and we have got one and when I take him apart the world will sit up and take notice.
"I'm not going around getting opponents out of graveyards, fighting guys well past their best like some other heavyweights in Britain, I'm taking on Kevin Johnson who has fought for a major world title and been the distance with Vitali Klitschko.
"I am getting closer to a shot at Klitschko myself and I'm going to show Vitali why he has to fight me because when I do a number on Johnson and get him out of there I'll have done a better job than Vitali did on him.
"I'm really looking forward to fighting again in Belfast, the support I get there is great and to bring such a big fight there is terrific for the fans. Johnson is going to be tough, he's a hard man but I'll be in the best shape of my life. The fans can expect fireworks, that's for sure."
Former World heavyweight title challenger Johnson is coming to Belfast full of confidence with his sights set on railroading Fury's world title aspirations.
"I'm excited about the opportunity to step into the ring with Tyson Fury on December 1, in Belfast.," revealed Johnson. "It's a fight that I've been looking to make for a long time. It's going to be the best American fighter against the best fighter in the U.K.
"I give Tyson all the credit in the world for stepping up to the plate and taking the fight. This is the biggest fight of my career since my world title fight against Vitali Klitschko in 2009 and I look forward to giving the fans what they deserve, an action packed, explosive and exciting fight."
"Tyson is a helluva fighter but he's never seen anything like the "Kingpin" up close and personal. I'm on a mission to claim the heavyweight title and Tyson Fury is in my way. I'm not Derek Chisora or Neven Pajkic. I'm the real deal and Tyson will find that out on December 1. Don't blink, its going to be a short night."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales