Jeff Gordon Fight With Clint Bowyer Currently Under NASCAR Investigation [VIDEO]
November 13, 2012 2:50 AM EST
Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer are currently under investigation by NASCAR after an incident that took place during Sunday’s race at Phoenix International Raceway.
It all started when Jeff Gordon, the driver for the #24 DuPont Chevrolet Impala, held up to Bowyer in an effort to wreck him.
After exiting his vehicle on pit road, Gordon clashed with members of Bowyer’s team. Bowyer followed suite by sprinting to the garage to take on members of Gordon's crew at the No. 24 hauler.
Bowyer, the driver for the #15 Toyota Camry, told ESPN it was "pretty embarrassing for a four-time champion and what I consider one of the best this sport's ever seen ... to act like that is just completely ridiculous."
Gordon told reporters that his response was an accumulation of frustration from incidents throughout the year, beginning when Bowyer wrecked him and teammate Jimmie Johnson at Martinsville.
"Clint has run into me numerous times, wrecked me, and he got into me on the back straightaway and pretty much ruined our day," Gordon said. "I've had it, fed up with it, and I got him back."
While officials met with Gordon, Bowyer and others in the NASCAR hauler after the race to discuss what happened, they said it's too early to predict whether drivers or crew members will be suspended for being involved in the fight.
"There's a lot of things to shift through on and off the racetrack," vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said after meeting with drivers and crew members from both teams. "We'll continue to talk and work things out amongst the teams. We'll continue to try to get everybody back calmed down and get it back to a good working situation for everybody."
Pemberton was vague on potential penalties that were likely to follow Sunday’s incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown