Jeff Gordon Fight With Clint Bowyer Currently Under NASCAR Investigation [VIDEO]
November 13, 2012 2:50 AM EST
Jeff Gordon and Clint Bowyer are currently under investigation by NASCAR after an incident that took place during Sunday’s race at Phoenix International Raceway.
It all started when Jeff Gordon, the driver for the #24 DuPont Chevrolet Impala, held up to Bowyer in an effort to wreck him.
After exiting his vehicle on pit road, Gordon clashed with members of Bowyer’s team. Bowyer followed suite by sprinting to the garage to take on members of Gordon's crew at the No. 24 hauler.
Bowyer, the driver for the #15 Toyota Camry, told ESPN it was "pretty embarrassing for a four-time champion and what I consider one of the best this sport's ever seen ... to act like that is just completely ridiculous."
Gordon told reporters that his response was an accumulation of frustration from incidents throughout the year, beginning when Bowyer wrecked him and teammate Jimmie Johnson at Martinsville.
"Clint has run into me numerous times, wrecked me, and he got into me on the back straightaway and pretty much ruined our day," Gordon said. "I've had it, fed up with it, and I got him back."
While officials met with Gordon, Bowyer and others in the NASCAR hauler after the race to discuss what happened, they said it's too early to predict whether drivers or crew members will be suspended for being involved in the fight.
"There's a lot of things to shift through on and off the racetrack," vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said after meeting with drivers and crew members from both teams. "We'll continue to talk and work things out amongst the teams. We'll continue to try to get everybody back calmed down and get it back to a good working situation for everybody."
Pemberton was vague on potential penalties that were likely to follow Sunday’s incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch