United Suffer Further Injury Pain After Villa Comeback
By Nick Howson | November 13, 2012 2:10 AM EST
The 29 year old played the entire 90 minutes of United's 3-2 win against Aston Villa on Saturday, but has withdrawn from the mid-week international with a thigh problem.
United are yet to confirm Van Persie's removal from the squad and as yet there is no news over his involvement in the club's league trip to Norwich City.
Van Persie has been replaced by Bas Dost for the match against Germany in the Dutch capital, a repeat of the Euro 2012 group game in the summer.
The ex-Arsenal forward has begun his career at United in impressive manner, scoring 11 goals already this season, including a hat-trick against Southampton.
But Van Persie stood aside on Saturday as Javier Hernandez inspired United to a comeback victory against Villa, the eighth time this season they've earned points from a losing position this term.
The returning Chris Smalling, who made his first Premier League start for United this season at Villa Park, says staging another dramatic comeback piles the pressure on the club's rivals.
"I think it's a massive win," Smalling told MUTV. "Especially with the other teams looking at that result when they have got big games on Sunday. It puts pressure on them."
"They had a strong striker up front so we had a good battle but, luckily, we won in the end.
"I think, to be fair, I got sucked in by him for the first goal but we just had to come out for the second half and put on a performance. Thankfully, Chicharito came up with the goals."
Smalling was thrown in at the deep end against Villa, facing the physicality of Belgian forward Christian Benteke, who set up the opening goal for Andreas Weimann after bouncing off the England defender.
"Chris was in the wars a few times," Ferguson said.
"He got a lot of knocks. He was up against a real handful today, Christian Benteke. He did a great job for them - strong, physical and he used his physique. It was a tough day for Chris but he came through it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced