United Suffer Further Injury Pain After Villa Comeback
By Nick Howson | November 13, 2012 2:10 AM EST
The 29 year old played the entire 90 minutes of United's 3-2 win against Aston Villa on Saturday, but has withdrawn from the mid-week international with a thigh problem.
United are yet to confirm Van Persie's removal from the squad and as yet there is no news over his involvement in the club's league trip to Norwich City.
Van Persie has been replaced by Bas Dost for the match against Germany in the Dutch capital, a repeat of the Euro 2012 group game in the summer.
The ex-Arsenal forward has begun his career at United in impressive manner, scoring 11 goals already this season, including a hat-trick against Southampton.
But Van Persie stood aside on Saturday as Javier Hernandez inspired United to a comeback victory against Villa, the eighth time this season they've earned points from a losing position this term.
The returning Chris Smalling, who made his first Premier League start for United this season at Villa Park, says staging another dramatic comeback piles the pressure on the club's rivals.
"I think it's a massive win," Smalling told MUTV. "Especially with the other teams looking at that result when they have got big games on Sunday. It puts pressure on them."
"They had a strong striker up front so we had a good battle but, luckily, we won in the end.
"I think, to be fair, I got sucked in by him for the first goal but we just had to come out for the second half and put on a performance. Thankfully, Chicharito came up with the goals."
Smalling was thrown in at the deep end against Villa, facing the physicality of Belgian forward Christian Benteke, who set up the opening goal for Andreas Weimann after bouncing off the England defender.
"Chris was in the wars a few times," Ferguson said.
"He got a lot of knocks. He was up against a real handful today, Christian Benteke. He did a great job for them - strong, physical and he used his physique. It was a tough day for Chris but he came through it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4