United Suffer Further Injury Pain After Villa Comeback
By Nick Howson | November 13, 2012 2:10 AM EST
The 29 year old played the entire 90 minutes of United's 3-2 win against Aston Villa on Saturday, but has withdrawn from the mid-week international with a thigh problem.
United are yet to confirm Van Persie's removal from the squad and as yet there is no news over his involvement in the club's league trip to Norwich City.
Van Persie has been replaced by Bas Dost for the match against Germany in the Dutch capital, a repeat of the Euro 2012 group game in the summer.
The ex-Arsenal forward has begun his career at United in impressive manner, scoring 11 goals already this season, including a hat-trick against Southampton.
But Van Persie stood aside on Saturday as Javier Hernandez inspired United to a comeback victory against Villa, the eighth time this season they've earned points from a losing position this term.
The returning Chris Smalling, who made his first Premier League start for United this season at Villa Park, says staging another dramatic comeback piles the pressure on the club's rivals.
"I think it's a massive win," Smalling told MUTV. "Especially with the other teams looking at that result when they have got big games on Sunday. It puts pressure on them."
"They had a strong striker up front so we had a good battle but, luckily, we won in the end.
"I think, to be fair, I got sucked in by him for the first goal but we just had to come out for the second half and put on a performance. Thankfully, Chicharito came up with the goals."
Smalling was thrown in at the deep end against Villa, facing the physicality of Belgian forward Christian Benteke, who set up the opening goal for Andreas Weimann after bouncing off the England defender.
"Chris was in the wars a few times," Ferguson said.
"He got a lot of knocks. He was up against a real handful today, Christian Benteke. He did a great job for them - strong, physical and he used his physique. It was a tough day for Chris but he came through it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS