United Suffer Further Injury Pain After Villa Comeback
By Nick Howson | November 13, 2012 2:10 AM EST
The 29 year old played the entire 90 minutes of United's 3-2 win against Aston Villa on Saturday, but has withdrawn from the mid-week international with a thigh problem.
United are yet to confirm Van Persie's removal from the squad and as yet there is no news over his involvement in the club's league trip to Norwich City.
Van Persie has been replaced by Bas Dost for the match against Germany in the Dutch capital, a repeat of the Euro 2012 group game in the summer.
The ex-Arsenal forward has begun his career at United in impressive manner, scoring 11 goals already this season, including a hat-trick against Southampton.
But Van Persie stood aside on Saturday as Javier Hernandez inspired United to a comeback victory against Villa, the eighth time this season they've earned points from a losing position this term.
The returning Chris Smalling, who made his first Premier League start for United this season at Villa Park, says staging another dramatic comeback piles the pressure on the club's rivals.
"I think it's a massive win," Smalling told MUTV. "Especially with the other teams looking at that result when they have got big games on Sunday. It puts pressure on them."
"They had a strong striker up front so we had a good battle but, luckily, we won in the end.
"I think, to be fair, I got sucked in by him for the first goal but we just had to come out for the second half and put on a performance. Thankfully, Chicharito came up with the goals."
Smalling was thrown in at the deep end against Villa, facing the physicality of Belgian forward Christian Benteke, who set up the opening goal for Andreas Weimann after bouncing off the England defender.
"Chris was in the wars a few times," Ferguson said.
"He got a lot of knocks. He was up against a real handful today, Christian Benteke. He did a great job for them - strong, physical and he used his physique. It was a tough day for Chris but he came through it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More