Villas-Boas to Raid Former Club for Talented Young Winger – Report
By Adrian Back | November 13, 2012 1:41 AM EST
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is hoping that he will be able to convince Porto midfielder Christian Atsu to join him at White Hart Lane in January.
Villas-Boas was the manager that gave Atsu his promotion into the first team squad and he has since gone on to regularly feature for the side, making a total of eight appearances in the league already this season.
Atsu has also made four appearances in the Champions League this season, with the Sunday People suggesting that Tottenham scouts have watched him on a number of occasions while playing in European competition.
The 20-year-old has already scored two goals in five appearances for Ghana and has certainly caught the eye with his displays for Porto this season.
Villas-Boas had previously been linked with a raid on his former club in the summer when it appeared as though Tottenham where keen to sign midfielder Joao Moutinho.
Spurs eventually missed out on signing the Portugal international but it seems as though Villas-Boas has now turned his attention to the younger Atsu.
The People believes that it would take an offer in the region of £12million for the reigning Portuguese champions to even consider allowing the exciting young winger to leave the club.
Villas-Boas will also have to convince Atsu to join a club which is playing in the Europa League, rather than remaining at Porto who are top of their group in the Champions League and have already secured qualification to the knockout stages.
Porto are also top of the Primeira Liga after nine games, while Tottenham are down in seventh place and are already 10 points behind Manchester United.
Atsu is mainly deployed on the left-wing for Porto and would certainly play second fiddle to Gareth Bale should he decide to make the move to Tottenham.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools