Villas-Boas to Raid Former Club for Talented Young Winger – Report
By Adrian Back | November 13, 2012 1:41 AM EST
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is hoping that he will be able to convince Porto midfielder Christian Atsu to join him at White Hart Lane in January.
Villas-Boas was the manager that gave Atsu his promotion into the first team squad and he has since gone on to regularly feature for the side, making a total of eight appearances in the league already this season.
Atsu has also made four appearances in the Champions League this season, with the Sunday People suggesting that Tottenham scouts have watched him on a number of occasions while playing in European competition.
The 20-year-old has already scored two goals in five appearances for Ghana and has certainly caught the eye with his displays for Porto this season.
Villas-Boas had previously been linked with a raid on his former club in the summer when it appeared as though Tottenham where keen to sign midfielder Joao Moutinho.
Spurs eventually missed out on signing the Portugal international but it seems as though Villas-Boas has now turned his attention to the younger Atsu.
The People believes that it would take an offer in the region of £12million for the reigning Portuguese champions to even consider allowing the exciting young winger to leave the club.
Villas-Boas will also have to convince Atsu to join a club which is playing in the Europa League, rather than remaining at Porto who are top of their group in the Champions League and have already secured qualification to the knockout stages.
Porto are also top of the Primeira Liga after nine games, while Tottenham are down in seventh place and are already 10 points behind Manchester United.
Atsu is mainly deployed on the left-wing for Porto and would certainly play second fiddle to Gareth Bale should he decide to make the move to Tottenham.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales