Attack on Prince Charles and Camilla 'Averted Moments Before Auckland Arrival'
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 1:31 AM EST
An anti-royalist pensioner from Auckland who planned to assault Prince Charles and Camilla was arrested moments before the couple arrived in the New Zealand city today.
The 74-year-old, Sam Bracanov, was seen on CCTV in downtown Auckland preparing to commit the assault. Police said he had an object with him, but would not say what it was, TVNZ said.
Charles and Camilla arrived in the city to greet thousands of people on their tour of New Zealand.
Bracanov is due to appear in court tomorrow. A family member told ONE News that they had tried to contact Bracanov the morning of the planned attack but could not reach him.
Other anti-royalist protesters were present when the couple arrived today. One said: "We don't tolerate royalist fools poncing around," and another, named Kerry Bevin, told Charles and Camilla to "go home and don't come back."
New Zealand Police said in a statement: "[Bracanov] will appear in the Auckland District Court tomorrow charged with preparing to commit a crime, namely assault.
"Arresting officers had identified the man as a known anti-royalist who was, when arrested, at a royal itinerary venue although neither of the royal visitors was in the vicinity at the time."
According to Sky News, a source said this was an isolated incident and Charles and Camilla were "warmly" welcomed to Auckland.
When Prince Charles visited New Zealand in 2005, two women were arrested for protesting. The women, both in their 20s, were bare breasted and were arrested for disorderly behaviour.
Rob Pope, Wellington Police District commander, said the arrests took place just before Prince Charles was about to go into the Wellington City Gallery.
"Officers dealt quickly with the incidents and security was not compromised," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced