Attack on Prince Charles and Camilla 'Averted Moments Before Auckland Arrival'
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 1:31 AM EST
An anti-royalist pensioner from Auckland who planned to assault Prince Charles and Camilla was arrested moments before the couple arrived in the New Zealand city today.
The 74-year-old, Sam Bracanov, was seen on CCTV in downtown Auckland preparing to commit the assault. Police said he had an object with him, but would not say what it was, TVNZ said.
Charles and Camilla arrived in the city to greet thousands of people on their tour of New Zealand.
Bracanov is due to appear in court tomorrow. A family member told ONE News that they had tried to contact Bracanov the morning of the planned attack but could not reach him.
Other anti-royalist protesters were present when the couple arrived today. One said: "We don't tolerate royalist fools poncing around," and another, named Kerry Bevin, told Charles and Camilla to "go home and don't come back."
New Zealand Police said in a statement: "[Bracanov] will appear in the Auckland District Court tomorrow charged with preparing to commit a crime, namely assault.
"Arresting officers had identified the man as a known anti-royalist who was, when arrested, at a royal itinerary venue although neither of the royal visitors was in the vicinity at the time."
According to Sky News, a source said this was an isolated incident and Charles and Camilla were "warmly" welcomed to Auckland.
When Prince Charles visited New Zealand in 2005, two women were arrested for protesting. The women, both in their 20s, were bare breasted and were arrested for disorderly behaviour.
Rob Pope, Wellington Police District commander, said the arrests took place just before Prince Charles was about to go into the Wellington City Gallery.
"Officers dealt quickly with the incidents and security was not compromised," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Explosion in Canada Damages Building, Five Injured
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate