Attack on Prince Charles and Camilla 'Averted Moments Before Auckland Arrival'
By Hannah Osborne | November 13, 2012 1:31 AM EST
An anti-royalist pensioner from Auckland who planned to assault Prince Charles and Camilla was arrested moments before the couple arrived in the New Zealand city today.
The 74-year-old, Sam Bracanov, was seen on CCTV in downtown Auckland preparing to commit the assault. Police said he had an object with him, but would not say what it was, TVNZ said.
Charles and Camilla arrived in the city to greet thousands of people on their tour of New Zealand.
Bracanov is due to appear in court tomorrow. A family member told ONE News that they had tried to contact Bracanov the morning of the planned attack but could not reach him.
Other anti-royalist protesters were present when the couple arrived today. One said: "We don't tolerate royalist fools poncing around," and another, named Kerry Bevin, told Charles and Camilla to "go home and don't come back."
New Zealand Police said in a statement: "[Bracanov] will appear in the Auckland District Court tomorrow charged with preparing to commit a crime, namely assault.
"Arresting officers had identified the man as a known anti-royalist who was, when arrested, at a royal itinerary venue although neither of the royal visitors was in the vicinity at the time."
According to Sky News, a source said this was an isolated incident and Charles and Camilla were "warmly" welcomed to Auckland.
When Prince Charles visited New Zealand in 2005, two women were arrested for protesting. The women, both in their 20s, were bare breasted and were arrested for disorderly behaviour.
Rob Pope, Wellington Police District commander, said the arrests took place just before Prince Charles was about to go into the Wellington City Gallery.
"Officers dealt quickly with the incidents and security was not compromised," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales