Kingsmill Accused of Sexualising Children in New Bread Advert [VIDEO]
By Toyin Owoseje | November 12, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Bread giant Kingsmill has come under fire over its latest TV advert which shows a teenager girl posing provocatively in skimpy school uniform.
The 30-second commercial prompted a barrage of complaints from furious parents who accused the company of "sexualising" children.
In the advert for Kingsmill's fruit and fibre bread, a schoolgirl is seen in the kitchen with her younger brother having breakfast. After her brother informs her of her father's warning: "If you think you're going to school in that skirt, you can think again" she responds by defiantly hitching up her mid-thigh length skirt to strike a provocative pose.
One angry viewer said: "Perhaps it's because paedophilia is very much in the public consciousness at the moment but shouldn't this be illegal? Nearly seeing up the skirt of a minor?"
Another said: "'I just don't see how it's appropriate or what it has to do with a Kingsmill loaf. It's blatantly using sex to sell an everyday product."
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said that it had received 19 complaints since the advert launched a week ago. It now plans to open an investigation to determine if Kingsmill's campaign was "offensive and irresponsible".
The company, however, has defended the ad, claiming that it "captures the playful interactions that are typical of day-to-day family life and demonstrates our understanding of modern families and their needs."
Will Ghali, director of brands at Kingsmill owner, Allied Bakeries also said: "I don't think it's suggestive. It's light-hearted and gets its message across in an entertaining and engaging way."
The advert is the latest in a £4 million campaign to promote Kingsmill bread. It stars 18-year-old Tara Berwin and nine-year-old Lewis Hardaker.
Watch the Kingsmill Fruits and Fibre advert here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- BC Labour Unions Offer $8M Interest-Free Loans to Striking Teachers; Surplus Won’t Be Used to Settle Teachers’ Strike – Finance Minister
- 12-Year Old's Racy Photos And Erotica Literature Discovered In iPad School Provided
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Boxing Education Institute to Open in China
- Prince William & Kate Middleton First Autum Engagement, Royal Couple Opening Oxford University’s China Centre
- New Zealand Teachers Union Rejects Government’s Education Plan
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date