Kingsmill Accused of Sexualising Children in New Bread Advert [VIDEO]
By Toyin Owoseje | November 12, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Bread giant Kingsmill has come under fire over its latest TV advert which shows a teenager girl posing provocatively in skimpy school uniform.
The 30-second commercial prompted a barrage of complaints from furious parents who accused the company of "sexualising" children.
In the advert for Kingsmill's fruit and fibre bread, a schoolgirl is seen in the kitchen with her younger brother having breakfast. After her brother informs her of her father's warning: "If you think you're going to school in that skirt, you can think again" she responds by defiantly hitching up her mid-thigh length skirt to strike a provocative pose.
One angry viewer said: "Perhaps it's because paedophilia is very much in the public consciousness at the moment but shouldn't this be illegal? Nearly seeing up the skirt of a minor?"
Another said: "'I just don't see how it's appropriate or what it has to do with a Kingsmill loaf. It's blatantly using sex to sell an everyday product."
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said that it had received 19 complaints since the advert launched a week ago. It now plans to open an investigation to determine if Kingsmill's campaign was "offensive and irresponsible".
The company, however, has defended the ad, claiming that it "captures the playful interactions that are typical of day-to-day family life and demonstrates our understanding of modern families and their needs."
Will Ghali, director of brands at Kingsmill owner, Allied Bakeries also said: "I don't think it's suggestive. It's light-hearted and gets its message across in an entertaining and engaging way."
The advert is the latest in a £4 million campaign to promote Kingsmill bread. It stars 18-year-old Tara Berwin and nine-year-old Lewis Hardaker.
Watch the Kingsmill Fruits and Fibre advert here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft