Kingsmill Accused of Sexualising Children in New Bread Advert [VIDEO]
By Toyin Owoseje | November 12, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Bread giant Kingsmill has come under fire over its latest TV advert which shows a teenager girl posing provocatively in skimpy school uniform.
The 30-second commercial prompted a barrage of complaints from furious parents who accused the company of "sexualising" children.
In the advert for Kingsmill's fruit and fibre bread, a schoolgirl is seen in the kitchen with her younger brother having breakfast. After her brother informs her of her father's warning: "If you think you're going to school in that skirt, you can think again" she responds by defiantly hitching up her mid-thigh length skirt to strike a provocative pose.
One angry viewer said: "Perhaps it's because paedophilia is very much in the public consciousness at the moment but shouldn't this be illegal? Nearly seeing up the skirt of a minor?"
Another said: "'I just don't see how it's appropriate or what it has to do with a Kingsmill loaf. It's blatantly using sex to sell an everyday product."
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said that it had received 19 complaints since the advert launched a week ago. It now plans to open an investigation to determine if Kingsmill's campaign was "offensive and irresponsible".
The company, however, has defended the ad, claiming that it "captures the playful interactions that are typical of day-to-day family life and demonstrates our understanding of modern families and their needs."
Will Ghali, director of brands at Kingsmill owner, Allied Bakeries also said: "I don't think it's suggestive. It's light-hearted and gets its message across in an entertaining and engaging way."
The advert is the latest in a £4 million campaign to promote Kingsmill bread. It stars 18-year-old Tara Berwin and nine-year-old Lewis Hardaker.
Watch the Kingsmill Fruits and Fibre advert here:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet