Australia to Participate in Philippine Military Exercises
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 12, 2012 8:36 PM EST
Australian military troops are eyeing to participate in the Philippines' annual "Balikatan" or "shoulder-to-shoulder" training exercises with the U.S. forces, the former's Department of National Defense (DND) announced over the weekend.
In a statement, DND spokesperson Dr. Peter Paul Galvez said that Australia wants to send its troops to the yearly military exercises more as an observer, and that this was discussed during the 11th Joint Defense Cooperation Committee meeting held from Oct. 24 to 25 in Manila.
"Explored in the meeting were Australian troops taking part in Philippine-US Balikatan exercises and Philippine forces joining the Australian Kakadu and Pitch Black Exercises," a statement from the DND read.
The Kakadu maritime exercises involve Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand and Japan, while the Pitch Black air combat exercises are conducted by Australia, along with Thailand, Singapore and New Zealand.
If discussions prove successful, a trilateral exercise agreement would need to be formally signed among the Philippines, the U.S. and Australia for the Balikatan.
"The Philippines and Australia expressed commitment to further enhance bilateral defense relations, with both sides looking forward to a more comprehensive, dynamic, and strengthened defense cooperation," the DND statement said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date