Xbox 720 Or PlayStation 4 To Be Released Next Year To Challenge Wii U, Hints Activision CEO
By Kukil Bora | November 12, 2012 7:03 PM EST
At a time when Microsoft’s Xbox 360 is more than seven years old now and Sony’s PlayStation 3 is going to complete six years later this month, gamers all around the world are eagerly waiting for the arrival of the next generation gaming consoles such as the Xbox 720 and the PlayStation 4.
While Nintendo's Wii U is reportedly all set to be released this coming week in a bid to kick start the era of the next-generation of consoles, industry stalwarts like Microsoft and Sony have been mum about their next-gen flagship products despite rumors that the Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4 are also expected to be released next year.
However, if a recent comment of Activision’s CEO Bobby Kotick is to be believed, there could be only one new console releasing next year.
“As we look to calendar 2013, we remain cautious in light of a challenging worldwide macroeconomic environment,” Kotick said while reporting Activision’s most recent earnings call held last week.
“We can’t really talk too much about next generation console plans, but I think it’s safe to say you have a Wii U coming out and there will be another new console coming and we expect that they’ll be very successful,” he added.
The question here is: What did Kotick refer by mentioning only one new console - Microsoft’s Xbox 720 or Sony’s PlayStation 4?
If we look into the console lifecycle, the Xbox 720 is more likely to see the light of day next year as Microsoft released it before Sony brought in the PS3.
On the other hand, considering Sony losing the existing generation to Microsoft, it won’t be a shocker if it releases the PS4 ahead of what Microsoft has planned so far. In addition, rumors have been rife that Sony will be introducing the “Orbis” just before E3 begins next year.
As per Activision’s report on its earnings for the third quarter of its current fiscal year, the company brought in $841 million in net revenue, including digital revenue of $427 million. The quarter surpassed estimates, rising 20 percent compared to last year and according to Activision CFO Dennis Durkin, as of September 30 (when the quarter ended), the company “had no debt and $3.4 billion in cash and investments.”
Based on the expectations on a potential record-breaking launch of “Call of Duty: Black Ops II” and constant success of both “Skylanders” and “Diablo,” Activision revised its expected earnings for the full 2012 calendar year from $4.3 billion to $4.57 billion, IGN has reported.
Apart from “Black Ops II,” Activision’s upcoming release slate includes “Transformers Prime” for Wii U in November, “The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct” and “Deadpool” in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge: Top Reasons To Upgrade From Galaxy Note 3 Or Galaxy Note 2
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- iOS 8 Bugs: Minor, Moderate And Serious Issues Why Users Should Not Upgrade Immediately
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best