Amitabh Bachchan Seeks Legal Action for Using Photos in Anti-Maoist Campaign
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 12, 2012 6:56 PM EST
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan was reportedly upset with the Bihar Police for using his pictures in their anti-Maoist campaign.
"Just read news about my photograph being used by Bihar police .. this is illegal, no consent taken or given, lawyers in action now ..'" Bachchan tweeted on Sunday.
He also took to his Facebook account to elaborate on his dismay. "Bihar Police uses my photograph for the recruitment of forces in their fight against the Maoists... this is illegal and wrong and defamatory... they cannot do this without my permission or that of Sony. They have not and they must stop its use immediately. We are in talks with our respective lawyers," he said posted.
Police immediately took down the pictures off billboards in Kaimur district after the actor threatened to take legal action. The pictures were meant for an anti-naxal educational program called "Adhaura 30", reported Press Trust of India (PTI).
Kaimur superintendent of police Umashankar Sudhanshu confirmed that the pictures were used without prior consent from Bachchan.
"We have removed the banner with Bachchan's poster from the only place in Adhaura block that it has been put up to educate the youths. I say sorry to Mr Bachchan for using his poster to motivate and educate the youths," Sudhanshu said.
According to a Rediff report, one of the posters read, "It is better to protect than to kill." Another one said, ""Aap sapne dekhen, hum unhe saakar karenge (You see the dreams, we will fulfill them),"
The campaign, meant to induct rural youth into the police force, saw a huge turnout at the program in Adhaura district. The program includes free training, food and residence to the young adults to help them prepare in the ongoing fight against the Maoists.
According to Daily Mail, the campaign organizers planned to invite Bachchan as they consider him an inspiration for young adults.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June