South Australia Expects $1.8B Grains Harvest This December
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 12, 2012 6:14 PM EST
The improved figures, according to Dave Lewis, Primary Industries and Regions SA grain industry development manager, were a result of the investments the sector made in technology.
"We are getting 50 per cent more grain with the same amount of growing season moisture because of improvements in technology and crop husbandry," Mr Lewis was quoted by adelaidenow.
Another contributing factor, Mr Lewis added, was the timing of sowing.
"With the presence of modern equipment, a farmer can now sow his crop in two to three weeks, whereas it would have taken five or six weeks in the 1980s."
This year's crop, although down from the 6.9 million tonnes harvest estimate made in July, is still contemplated as achievement compared with 24 years ago which produced only two million tonnes of grain despite having similar rain and moisture levels.
Malcolm Sargent, a farmer from Crystal Brook, seconded that constant improvements in technology had greatly helped him and the region to cope despite SA always hit by drought.
"I remember former BHP chairman Sir Arvi Parbo saying that being in business is like walking up a down escalator. If you stand still you go backwards," Mr Sargent said, who started grain farming in 1970.
He said technology, along with more land acquisition, had helped his business to stay afloat, boosting production from 500 tonnes to 5,000 tonnes of grain a year. What's more, all these were done without employing extra workers.
"We are growing far more grain per millimetre of rain than we did when I started because ironically, drought years force people to change rapidly to make use of the available moisture," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown