Japanese GDP Shrinks Pushing Country Towards Recession
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 12, 2012 5:38 PM EST
Data from the country's Cabinet Office showed that the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) contracted 0.9 percent from July to September while dropping 3.5 percent on an annualised basis.
Weak external demand accounted for 0.7 percent of the quarterly contraction. Slowing global economy and the territorial disputes with China that sparked a boycott of Japanese goods in the Communist nation had pulled exports down 5 percent in the third quarter.
Private consumption slipped 0.5 percent. Capital expenditure fell 3.2 percent as firms held a negative outlook on weak external and internal markets.
The latest data follows a host of other weak economic indicators from the country, prompting concerns that Japan may be easing into recession.
According to a survey by Bloomberg, the economy may shrink further in the current quarter. Two consecutive quarters of economic contraction is commonly considered as an indicator of recession.
"The GDP data confirms that the economy has fallen into a recession," Tatsushi Shikano, senior economist at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley Securities in Tokyo told Reuters. "It is set for a second straight quarter of contraction in the current quarter."
The figures are expected to pile more pressure on the Bank of Japan to initiate further monetary aiding measures. The central bank had boosted its asset purchase programme for the second straight month in October.
However, many analysts expect the BoJ to refrain from further measures as it meets in the coming week, although some speculate that the bank may consider a stimulus in December after a meeting of the US Federal Reserve.
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda told parliament that "the GDP figures were grim". He has vowed to speed up the government's efforts to boost the economy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff