Japanese GDP Shrinks Pushing Country Towards Recession
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 12, 2012 5:38 PM EST
Data from the country's Cabinet Office showed that the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) contracted 0.9 percent from July to September while dropping 3.5 percent on an annualised basis.
Weak external demand accounted for 0.7 percent of the quarterly contraction. Slowing global economy and the territorial disputes with China that sparked a boycott of Japanese goods in the Communist nation had pulled exports down 5 percent in the third quarter.
Private consumption slipped 0.5 percent. Capital expenditure fell 3.2 percent as firms held a negative outlook on weak external and internal markets.
The latest data follows a host of other weak economic indicators from the country, prompting concerns that Japan may be easing into recession.
According to a survey by Bloomberg, the economy may shrink further in the current quarter. Two consecutive quarters of economic contraction is commonly considered as an indicator of recession.
"The GDP data confirms that the economy has fallen into a recession," Tatsushi Shikano, senior economist at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley Securities in Tokyo told Reuters. "It is set for a second straight quarter of contraction in the current quarter."
The figures are expected to pile more pressure on the Bank of Japan to initiate further monetary aiding measures. The central bank had boosted its asset purchase programme for the second straight month in October.
However, many analysts expect the BoJ to refrain from further measures as it meets in the coming week, although some speculate that the bank may consider a stimulus in December after a meeting of the US Federal Reserve.
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda told parliament that "the GDP figures were grim". He has vowed to speed up the government's efforts to boost the economy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’