Japanese GDP Shrinks Pushing Country Towards Recession
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | November 12, 2012 5:38 PM EST
Data from the country's Cabinet Office showed that the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) contracted 0.9 percent from July to September while dropping 3.5 percent on an annualised basis.
Weak external demand accounted for 0.7 percent of the quarterly contraction. Slowing global economy and the territorial disputes with China that sparked a boycott of Japanese goods in the Communist nation had pulled exports down 5 percent in the third quarter.
Private consumption slipped 0.5 percent. Capital expenditure fell 3.2 percent as firms held a negative outlook on weak external and internal markets.
The latest data follows a host of other weak economic indicators from the country, prompting concerns that Japan may be easing into recession.
According to a survey by Bloomberg, the economy may shrink further in the current quarter. Two consecutive quarters of economic contraction is commonly considered as an indicator of recession.
"The GDP data confirms that the economy has fallen into a recession," Tatsushi Shikano, senior economist at Mitsubishi UFJ Morgan Stanley Securities in Tokyo told Reuters. "It is set for a second straight quarter of contraction in the current quarter."
The figures are expected to pile more pressure on the Bank of Japan to initiate further monetary aiding measures. The central bank had boosted its asset purchase programme for the second straight month in October.
However, many analysts expect the BoJ to refrain from further measures as it meets in the coming week, although some speculate that the bank may consider a stimulus in December after a meeting of the US Federal Reserve.
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda told parliament that "the GDP figures were grim". He has vowed to speed up the government's efforts to boost the economy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Too Much Blow for Mourning Families as Rebels Steal Bodies; Complete Passenger. Crew List Released
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russia’s Putin World’s Getting Small, Pitted Against Global Leaders
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- How to Deal With Slackers at the Office
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People