Divine Brain Food - Sharpen your Thinking with Chocolate
By Natural News | November 12, 2012 3:57 PM EST
Most people don't need an excuse to eat chocolate -- its creamy texture and delicious taste are reason enough. Yet, here is another compelling reason to savor chocolate: it helps your brain work better. Flavonols present within chocolate may be the key to this enhanced cognitive functioning. But we are not speaking of a Hershey bar here -- only high quality, extra dark varieties will improve brain function and sharpen the mind.
The brain on chocolate
A study at the University of L'Aquila in Italy established a connection between heightened cognitive ability and the consumption of chocolate. According to research team head Dr. Giovambattista Desideri, "This study provides encouraging evidence that consuming cocoa flavonols, as a part of a calorie-controlled and nutritionally-balanced diet, could improve cognitive function." Participants were instructed to consume a high, intermediate or low dose cocoa flavonol beverage for eight weeks. Those who drank the high and intermediate versions had improved working and verbal memory, task-switching and hand-eye coordination. Researchers suspect that the brain boosting qualities of cocoa flavonols are due to an improvement of insulin sensitivity. A comparable study in the United Kingdom demonstrated the ability of flavonol cocoa to strengthen brain function by increasing cerebral blood flow.
Scientists at the University of Oxford, UK came to a similar conclusion. Participants were asked to complete a detailed account of their standard diet. They were then given a series of cognitive tests. Those who consistently ate foods rich in flavonols like chocolate, wine or tea scored significantly higher on the tests than those who had scant flavonol consumption. When the diet is teeming with these compounds, the risk of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and stroke is reduced as well.
The typical chocolate bar will do little except swell the waistline and increase the prospect of developing Type II diabetes. To maximize the health benefits of chocolate, only exceptional quality will do -- organic, extra dark (at least 70 percent cocoa) and preferably raw. Remember, the higher the cocoa content, the lower the sugar. Unsweetened powdered cocoa is acceptable as long as it isn't processed with alkali. Eating large quantities is unnecessary -- a small square of dark chocolate or cup of low-sugar cocoa beverage per day is adequate.
With intelligent use, chocolate is an excellent food for protecting and improving the brain. As a delicious daily habit, a spot of chocolate will help to keep the mind sharp and cognitive disease at bay.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton: Duchess Of Cambridge's Beauty Secrets Revealed By Her Skin Specialist
- What Quinoa Is And Why It's Good For Weight Loss
- Home Flu Test Kit Available Soon
- Terminally-Ill Australian Mother Fights For Time With Premature Baby; Flooded With Donations
- 5 After-Workout Habits You Should Practice Religiously
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports