Coalition Prohibits Acquiring Nuclear Submarines for Australian Navy
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 12, 2012 2:19 PM EST
The Coalition's defense spokesman dismissed the suggestions of his colleagues that Australia should think about acquiring nuclear submarines in replacement of the Collins-class subs.
Senator David Johnston responded to reports about the senior coalition MPs claim that buying or leasing Virginia-class attack submarines, armed with conventional weapons including cruise missiles, would be backed-up by the Obama administration.
"Nuclear submarines are not coalition policy and they are not on the table for us to be examining," Johnston told ABC Radio on Monday. "Australia did not have the capacity to build and operate its own nuclear reactors and would have to rely on allies, including the United States or United Kingdom. We are in no position to make assumptions that we would have access to such technology," Johnston added.
Meanwhile, former Defense Minister Joel Fitzgibbon declared that Labor is committing a mistake if it ruled out fast attack nuclear submarines. "We should have a discussion about every option which might deliver the capability we need in a timely manner," Fitzgibbon told The Australian Financial Review.
Peter Reith, another former Howard government Defense Minister also stated that having nuclear submarines were an option. "Nuclear submarines are top-quality kit so let's find out whether we can afford them, how much they cost to run, manning issues and the like," Reith told the AFR. "The Americans opened the door some months ago and for financial and strategic reasons we should at least examine the option," Reith further added.
On the other hand, US Ambassador Jeffrey Bleich affirmed that the proposal was one to contemplate about yet so unlikely to be considered as a serious policy. This week, US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will be in Perth for defense talks at the Australia-US Ministerial (AUSMIN) consultations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How