84-Year-Old NSW Man Beats Large Armed Intruders
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 12, 2012 10:46 AM EST
Octogenarian Ernie Whitfield of New South Wales is considered strong for his age. Similar men in the same age bracket would probably be confined in a convalescent home, wheelchair-bound or walking with the aid of a cane.
However, at 84, Mr Whitfield even beat intruders who entered his home armed with a hammer and a knife taken from Mr Whitfield's kitchen and demanded money.
Reports said Mr Whitfield was sleeping at his home in Port Macquarie when the two intruders entered his house on Saturday morning at about 2 a.m. One of them is a heavy-built guy and the other was described as a tall person measuring about 205 centimetres tall. The two had dark-hooded jumpers and their faces were concealed.
The octogenarian pointed to his wallet and tried to get out of bed to get the money purse, but one of the intruders pushed him and hit his arm with a pole. Mr Whitfield engaged the two armed men and even broke the blade off the knife, which he used to stab one of them while the latter was attempting to hit the old man with the hammer.
He then disarmed the intruder with the pole, but they managed to flee with Mr Whitfield's wallet. He called for help and was heard by neighbour Judy Hodge, who came to his assistance.
In the scuffle with the intruders, Mr Whitfield suffered cuts to his head and leg, so he was brought to the Port Macquarie Hospital for treatment by the emergency services that responded to the call for help.
Mr Whitfield is not the only octogenarian who could do unusual things at his age. Here are other examples of 84-year-old men posted in YouTube who could do other unusual things.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies