84-Year-Old NSW Man Beats Large Armed Intruders
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 12, 2012 10:46 AM EST
Octogenarian Ernie Whitfield of New South Wales is considered strong for his age. Similar men in the same age bracket would probably be confined in a convalescent home, wheelchair-bound or walking with the aid of a cane.
However, at 84, Mr Whitfield even beat intruders who entered his home armed with a hammer and a knife taken from Mr Whitfield's kitchen and demanded money.
Reports said Mr Whitfield was sleeping at his home in Port Macquarie when the two intruders entered his house on Saturday morning at about 2 a.m. One of them is a heavy-built guy and the other was described as a tall person measuring about 205 centimetres tall. The two had dark-hooded jumpers and their faces were concealed.
The octogenarian pointed to his wallet and tried to get out of bed to get the money purse, but one of the intruders pushed him and hit his arm with a pole. Mr Whitfield engaged the two armed men and even broke the blade off the knife, which he used to stab one of them while the latter was attempting to hit the old man with the hammer.
He then disarmed the intruder with the pole, but they managed to flee with Mr Whitfield's wallet. He called for help and was heard by neighbour Judy Hodge, who came to his assistance.
In the scuffle with the intruders, Mr Whitfield suffered cuts to his head and leg, so he was brought to the Port Macquarie Hospital for treatment by the emergency services that responded to the call for help.
Mr Whitfield is not the only octogenarian who could do unusual things at his age. Here are other examples of 84-year-old men posted in YouTube who could do other unusual things.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup