Drogba Hoping for Chelsea Return
By Vishnuprasad S | November 11, 2012 11:35 PM EST
Didier Drogba is planning to return to Chelsea for training, ahead of the 2013 African Nations Cup in South Africa that kicks off in January.
Shanghai Shenhua finished their season in the Chinese Super League last week, after failing to qualify for the finals. Drogba, who left Stamford Bridge in the summer after an eight-year stay with the Blues, scored eight goals in 11 appearances for his new club, making him their top scorer.
The 34-year-old has been attracting attention from a host of top clubs, including Liverpool, but he ruled out a move back to European football earlier this week. The Ivory Coast skipper is now hoping the European champions will welcome him back, during the Chinese off-season, as he attempts to remain fit for the tournament.
"It will first be necessary that I ask permission from Shanghai and Chelsea. If everyone agrees, it is possible I will go and train there until the African Cup starts. But that is all it will be," ESPN quoted Drogba as saying.
The former Marseille star also went on to dismiss claims that he was ready to leave Shanghai due to financial disputes with the club.
"It is absolutely false that I have been paid late at any point - I've never had this problem here," Drogba told Goal.com.
Mata: Torres Will Prove Critics Wrong
Meanwhile, Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata insists that his team-mate and compatriot Fernando Torres is close to ending his lean spell and will find his form this season.
Despite the Blues' strong start to the season, Torres has again come in for criticism for his performances but Mata feels the La Roja striker will soon prove his critics wrong.
"I believe that Fernando will score goals, because I know him, I know how hungry he is inside himself. Every day he is looking to score. Every day he trains so hard. I know how he is inside his own mind. For sure he is going to score goals. He is still young, only 28, he has some years still to go. I believe in him because he is a true person and very professional," the Daily Mirror quoted Mata as saying.
Torres will start against his former side Liverpool in the league game at Stamford Bridge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch