Windows 8 Security Patch, Windows RT Security Update Release Date Nov.13
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | November 11, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Microsoft is releasing a critical security patch for Windows 8 and security update for Windows RT on Tuesday, Nov.13 as part of its monthly Patch ritual.
Though Microsoft has not divulged details of the problems the patches are meant to fix, about six patches are being released – three each for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8, ThinkDigit has reported.
Apparently, the Windows RT patch is likely to neutralize issues caused by a glitch that sometimes unexpectedly mutes audio in the tablet, whenever users employ the Touch Cover. Windows RT the operating system for tablets such as Microsoft's Surface gets two different updates positioned as “critical” and “important.”
The Windows 8 patches are likely to patch over the zero-day exploit discovered by the French Security company, VUPEN. The security fixes were announced in a recent bulletin.
Apart from Windows 8 fixes, critical updates are also being released for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 and Windows RT.
Microsoft will also issue several "important" updates for its Office productivity suite for Windows and Mac platforms.
Several theories abound as possible reason for the bug that mutes audio on the Surface device randomly. Some point to faulty hardware that may necessitate complete replacement of the Touch Cover, ThinkDigit has pointed out adding, while a few seem to believe that the bug is a software issue that may get resolved via a software update.
It is not clear if the yet-to-be-released patches will address the issue, but "Patch Tuesday," already seems to have cornered attention among Microsoft users.
The security update is also likely to fix vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, various versions of the Office Suite, and Windows Server. The server was released in September this year, and it needs a patch to run at maximum efficiency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports