Windows 8 Security Patch, Windows RT Security Update Release Date Nov.13
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | November 11, 2012 11:21 PM EST
Microsoft is releasing a critical security patch for Windows 8 and security update for Windows RT on Tuesday, Nov.13 as part of its monthly Patch ritual.
Though Microsoft has not divulged details of the problems the patches are meant to fix, about six patches are being released – three each for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8, ThinkDigit has reported.
Apparently, the Windows RT patch is likely to neutralize issues caused by a glitch that sometimes unexpectedly mutes audio in the tablet, whenever users employ the Touch Cover. Windows RT the operating system for tablets such as Microsoft's Surface gets two different updates positioned as “critical” and “important.”
The Windows 8 patches are likely to patch over the zero-day exploit discovered by the French Security company, VUPEN. The security fixes were announced in a recent bulletin.
Apart from Windows 8 fixes, critical updates are also being released for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 and Windows RT.
Microsoft will also issue several "important" updates for its Office productivity suite for Windows and Mac platforms.
Several theories abound as possible reason for the bug that mutes audio on the Surface device randomly. Some point to faulty hardware that may necessitate complete replacement of the Touch Cover, ThinkDigit has pointed out adding, while a few seem to believe that the bug is a software issue that may get resolved via a software update.
It is not clear if the yet-to-be-released patches will address the issue, but "Patch Tuesday," already seems to have cornered attention among Microsoft users.
The security update is also likely to fix vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, various versions of the Office Suite, and Windows Server. The server was released in September this year, and it needs a patch to run at maximum efficiency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- PS4 News: Developments for Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered and a Possible New PS4/PS Vita Game
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air