David Petraeus's Exit: Paula Broadwell, Other Woman and Scores of Unanswered Questions
By Geetha Pillai | November 11, 2012 10:13 PM EST
Petraeus's resignation comes just a week ahead of his appearance before the Senate Intelligence Committee at a hearing on the Benghazi attack in which four Americans, including US ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, were killed.
The CIA has been blamed for a failure of intelligence to anticipate such an attack and for terming it as a backlash against the anti-Islam YouTube video Innocence of Muslims rather than a terrorist attack. Petraeus was due to face a grilling in Congress, but the task will now pass to acting CIA director Michael Morell.
The White House maintained that it became aware of the Petraeus situation only on election night, and the president was informed on 8 November.
"David Petraeus testifying has nothing to do with whether or not he's still the CIA director, and I don't see how the CIA can say he's not going to testify," House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King (R-N Y) told CNN.
"He was at the centre of this and he has answers that only he has."
The Other Woman
The FBI unearthed Petraeus's extramarital affair with his biographer Paula Broadwell while investigating a cyber harassment complaint the agency received from another woman. The alleged harassment was traced to Broadwell.
The agency uncovered explicit mails between Broadwell and Petraeus, one even referring to sex under a desk. The FBI began monitoring his Gmail account to check whether his email had been breached.
The other woman was reportedly close to Petraeus but the nature of their relationship is yet to be made public.
The extent of the breach of Petraeus's private email account, if any, and the content of his emails are yet to be divulged.
Petraeus's affair with Broadwell is "'unthinkable" to many of his aides as he always maintained the image of a gentleman and a family man.
"I spent a lot of time with him, and I never heard him say, 'Wow, she was hot,' " one former aide told the Washington Post.
"I never recalled hearing him say anything crass or even mentioning the good looks of a person."
Friends and acquaintances of Broadwell, a Harvard University research associate and PhD candidate at King's College, London, described her as high achieving, smart and intelligent who is passionate about the causes she promoted.
Broadwell has a military background and graduated from the same West Point Academy as Petraeus. She served in the army for over a decade and achieved the rank of major before joining Harvard.
She is married to radiologist Scott Broadwell and has two sons. She lives in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Petraeus is married to Holly, the daughter of a West Point superintendent who heads the office for service-member affairs in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, an agency created by the 2010 financial regulation law.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery