Fire Blast In Indianapolis Kills Two; Hundreds Evacuated
By Sreeja V N | November 11, 2012 8:45 PM EST
At least two people were killed and several others were injured Saturday late night following a massive fire explosion in the U.S. city of Indianapolis.
Two houses were completely blown up, while several houses in vicinity were impacted by the engulfing flames displacing hundreds at Field Fair Way and Towhees Drive in the city, a fire department spokeswoman said.
The cause for the explosion that occurred around 11 p.m. Saturday is not yet known. Investigators are looking at the possibility of natural gas explosion as a line of inquiry, as there were reports of strong odor of natural gas near the area.
The details of victims are not released by the authorities.
Two houses exploded sparking fires in the adjacent houses, Lt. Bonnie Hensley, a spokeswoman for the Indianapolis Fire Department told Chicago Tribune.
"It looks like a war zone here right now," Hensley said.
Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard who visited the affected area dismissed the possibility of a plane crash triggering the explosion.
"It was so strong that it clearly had an effect for blocks. We're going to need some comforting in the next few days," the mayor said.
The fire has damaged a dozen homes and about 2000 people have been evacuated to a nearby school, while many others in the affected area shifted to their friends and families homes. The people sleeping in their homes were caught unawares and most of them fled their houses in pyjamas and night wears with their pets.
The fire was brought under control by Sunday early morning. Police has cordoned off the area and has barricaded the access points to the locality.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation