Pranab Mukherjee Presents Low-Cost Aakash 2 to Students
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 11, 2012 7:46 PM EST
President Pranab Mukherjee presented the next version of the world's cheapest tablet computer, Aaksh 2, on Sunday at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
According to Jagran Post, Pranab Mukherjee unveiled the tablet to students of the country on occasion of 124th birth anniversary of the country's first education minister and famous freedom fighter, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. The event was marked by the presence of thousands of teachers who will make conversation through online chatting using the next-generation tablet.
Aakash 2 packs several changes and is priced around ₹1,500. The first version was criticized for its poor performance by IIT Rajasthan. The successor sports a capacitive 7-inch touch screen with 800 x 480 pixels resolution and runs on Android 4.0 operating system. It hosts 2GB of memory onboard which can be expanded up to 32GB. The device packs educational software and comes pre-loaded with gaming and many other applications.
As the flagship scheme of the UPA government, Aakash 2 is expected to reach one lakh students by the end of the year. The cheapest tablet of the country was developed by the government with the purpose of linking the nation's 25,000 colleges and 400 universities in an e-learning programme. The government sells the tablet for a subsidized cost to give students access to technology.
The first-generation Aakash tablet received appreciation since its launch in 0ctober 2011. Suneet Tuli, the master mind behind the tablet, found a place in the top 15 classroom revolutionaries identified by Forbes magazine. In addition to this recognition, the tablet is also going to be showcased at the United Nations (UN) on Nov 28.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report