Pranab Mukherjee Presents Low-Cost Aakash 2 to Students
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 11, 2012 7:46 PM EST
President Pranab Mukherjee presented the next version of the world's cheapest tablet computer, Aaksh 2, on Sunday at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
According to Jagran Post, Pranab Mukherjee unveiled the tablet to students of the country on occasion of 124th birth anniversary of the country's first education minister and famous freedom fighter, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. The event was marked by the presence of thousands of teachers who will make conversation through online chatting using the next-generation tablet.
Aakash 2 packs several changes and is priced around ₹1,500. The first version was criticized for its poor performance by IIT Rajasthan. The successor sports a capacitive 7-inch touch screen with 800 x 480 pixels resolution and runs on Android 4.0 operating system. It hosts 2GB of memory onboard which can be expanded up to 32GB. The device packs educational software and comes pre-loaded with gaming and many other applications.
As the flagship scheme of the UPA government, Aakash 2 is expected to reach one lakh students by the end of the year. The cheapest tablet of the country was developed by the government with the purpose of linking the nation's 25,000 colleges and 400 universities in an e-learning programme. The government sells the tablet for a subsidized cost to give students access to technology.
The first-generation Aakash tablet received appreciation since its launch in 0ctober 2011. Suneet Tuli, the master mind behind the tablet, found a place in the top 15 classroom revolutionaries identified by Forbes magazine. In addition to this recognition, the tablet is also going to be showcased at the United Nations (UN) on Nov 28.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election