Apple-HTC Patent War Draws to Close; 10-year Licensing Deal Signed
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 11, 2012 7:07 PM EST
In 2010, Apple had filed a law suit against HTC, accusing the Taiwanese firm of infringing on its technology. This was Apple's first patent suit against HTC.
The settlement announced on Saturday includes a 10-year licensing agreement covering all patents. In a joint statement, the two companies said they are happy to reach a settlement after many years.
"HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation," HTC CEO Peter Chou said, according to AFP.
"We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC. We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation," Apple CEO Tim Cook said.
According to The Verge, Apple and HTC did not discuss e-specific terms and deals of the new agreement. The settlement is not expected to come at a huge cost.
HTC representative Jeff Gordon reportedly told The Verge that the company "does not expect this license agreement to have any adverse material impact on the financials of the company".
Apart from HTC, Apple has also filed lawsuits against Samsung and Google's Motorola Mobility unit over different patent issues. In 2012, US International Trade Commission announced that the HTC had infringed two of Apple's patents and imposed a ban on the sales of some of the HTC devices.
Apple has routinely attacked its rivals with patent lawsuits. The company was also accused of infringement in the past. In 2011, HTC sought a ban on Apple devices in the US. The Cupertino firm was recently fined $368.2 million for infringing patents belonging to VirnetX, a security networking firm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation