Girlfriends, Mobile Phones Cause Road Accidents, says Chhattisgarh CM
By Ankita Mehta | November 11, 2012 5:47 PM EST
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Saturday courted controversy after he blamed motorcycles, cell phones and good-looking girlfriends for the high rate of road accidents in the state.
At a seminar on "Road Safety" at AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) in Raipur, Singh spoke about the increasing number of road accidents in Chhattisgarh. He also said that girls avoid helmets and instead use "laal-peela dupatta" to cover their faces.
"If you have a good motorcycle, good mobile and a beautiful girlfriend, than accidents are bound to happen," he said at the seminar.
He added that the youth population make up for more than half of road accident cases victims.
"Driving two wheelers in speed and talking is a common and if there is a tiff between them than he would apply brakes and hit against something. The youth then cares for nothing," he added.
"Earlier we felt that bad roads were the cause of accidents, so we constructed good roads but I was surprised to know that the number of accidents went up," the CM said.
Raman Singh has joined the list of other politicians known to have made controversial statements against women. In October, BSP MLA Rajpal Saini said that women should not be given mobile phones as they are a distraction.
"There is no need to give phones to women and children. It distracts them and is useless. Why do women need phones? My mother, wife and sister never had mobile phones. They survived without one," IBN quoted Saini as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows