Strong Earthquake of Magnitude 6.8 Hits Myanmar, 2 Milder Shocks Follow
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 11, 2012 4:05 PM EST
A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.8, followed by two milder shock, rocked Myanmar on Sunday morning.
The U.S. Geological survey (USGS) said that quake occurred at around 07:42:38 am local time on Sunday and had a depth of 9.8 km (6.1 miles). The quake was centred 56 km (34 miles) NNE of Shwebo, 59 km (36 miles) WNW of Mogok, 117 km (72 miles) N of Mandalay and 123 km (76 miles) NNW of Maymyo.
Initially, the USGS reported it to be 6.6 and later revised the magnitude to 6.8. Two milder earthquakes of magnitude 5.0 struck Myanmar about 20 minutes later and both hit the epicenter at a depth of 10.1 km (6.3 miles).
There were no immediate reports of damage and injuries. Residents from Mandalay, the second-largest city and the last royal capital of Burma, told Reuters that they experienced a very strong quake at about 7:30 a.m.
"I've never felt such strong tremor. I also heard some loud noises and the light went out. No idea about the damage," a local resident said.
Mandalay Meteorological Department told the news agency that the quake hit the west bank of Ayeyawaddy River, Myanmar's largest river and most important commercial waterway. The department had not yet received reports of any damage.
Residents in Bangkok, capital of neighbouring Thailand, also felt the strong quake. The quake occurred just a week ahead of US President Barack Obama's visit to Myanmar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS