Strong Earthquake of Magnitude 6.8 Hits Myanmar, 2 Milder Shocks Follow
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 11, 2012 4:05 PM EST
A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.8, followed by two milder shock, rocked Myanmar on Sunday morning.
The U.S. Geological survey (USGS) said that quake occurred at around 07:42:38 am local time on Sunday and had a depth of 9.8 km (6.1 miles). The quake was centred 56 km (34 miles) NNE of Shwebo, 59 km (36 miles) WNW of Mogok, 117 km (72 miles) N of Mandalay and 123 km (76 miles) NNW of Maymyo.
Initially, the USGS reported it to be 6.6 and later revised the magnitude to 6.8. Two milder earthquakes of magnitude 5.0 struck Myanmar about 20 minutes later and both hit the epicenter at a depth of 10.1 km (6.3 miles).
There were no immediate reports of damage and injuries. Residents from Mandalay, the second-largest city and the last royal capital of Burma, told Reuters that they experienced a very strong quake at about 7:30 a.m.
"I've never felt such strong tremor. I also heard some loud noises and the light went out. No idea about the damage," a local resident said.
Mandalay Meteorological Department told the news agency that the quake hit the west bank of Ayeyawaddy River, Myanmar's largest river and most important commercial waterway. The department had not yet received reports of any damage.
Residents in Bangkok, capital of neighbouring Thailand, also felt the strong quake. The quake occurred just a week ahead of US President Barack Obama's visit to Myanmar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes