Strong Earthquake of Magnitude 6.8 Hits Myanmar, 2 Milder Shocks Follow
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 11, 2012 4:05 PM EST
A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.8, followed by two milder shock, rocked Myanmar on Sunday morning.
The U.S. Geological survey (USGS) said that quake occurred at around 07:42:38 am local time on Sunday and had a depth of 9.8 km (6.1 miles). The quake was centred 56 km (34 miles) NNE of Shwebo, 59 km (36 miles) WNW of Mogok, 117 km (72 miles) N of Mandalay and 123 km (76 miles) NNW of Maymyo.
Initially, the USGS reported it to be 6.6 and later revised the magnitude to 6.8. Two milder earthquakes of magnitude 5.0 struck Myanmar about 20 minutes later and both hit the epicenter at a depth of 10.1 km (6.3 miles).
There were no immediate reports of damage and injuries. Residents from Mandalay, the second-largest city and the last royal capital of Burma, told Reuters that they experienced a very strong quake at about 7:30 a.m.
"I've never felt such strong tremor. I also heard some loud noises and the light went out. No idea about the damage," a local resident said.
Mandalay Meteorological Department told the news agency that the quake hit the west bank of Ayeyawaddy River, Myanmar's largest river and most important commercial waterway. The department had not yet received reports of any damage.
Residents in Bangkok, capital of neighbouring Thailand, also felt the strong quake. The quake occurred just a week ahead of US President Barack Obama's visit to Myanmar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown