Strong Earthquake of Magnitude 6.8 Hits Myanmar, 2 Milder Shocks Follow
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 11, 2012 4:05 PM EST
A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.8, followed by two milder shock, rocked Myanmar on Sunday morning.
The U.S. Geological survey (USGS) said that quake occurred at around 07:42:38 am local time on Sunday and had a depth of 9.8 km (6.1 miles). The quake was centred 56 km (34 miles) NNE of Shwebo, 59 km (36 miles) WNW of Mogok, 117 km (72 miles) N of Mandalay and 123 km (76 miles) NNW of Maymyo.
Initially, the USGS reported it to be 6.6 and later revised the magnitude to 6.8. Two milder earthquakes of magnitude 5.0 struck Myanmar about 20 minutes later and both hit the epicenter at a depth of 10.1 km (6.3 miles).
There were no immediate reports of damage and injuries. Residents from Mandalay, the second-largest city and the last royal capital of Burma, told Reuters that they experienced a very strong quake at about 7:30 a.m.
"I've never felt such strong tremor. I also heard some loud noises and the light went out. No idea about the damage," a local resident said.
Mandalay Meteorological Department told the news agency that the quake hit the west bank of Ayeyawaddy River, Myanmar's largest river and most important commercial waterway. The department had not yet received reports of any damage.
Residents in Bangkok, capital of neighbouring Thailand, also felt the strong quake. The quake occurred just a week ahead of US President Barack Obama's visit to Myanmar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James