LSU vs Mississippi State: Preview, Where to Watch, Betting Odds
November 11, 2012 8:44 AM EST
A BCS bowl berth is on the line for the LSU Tigers as they host to Mississippi State Bulldogs Saturday night at Tiger Stadium.
LSU nearly pulled off a huge upset of No. 1 Alabama last week, but couldn’t hold off Crimson Tide quarterback A.J. McCarron’s last minute touchdown drive and suffered their second loss of the season by a score of 21-17.
Still the ninth-ranked Tigers were the only team to hold a lead against Alabama this season, and quarterback Zach Mettenberger had his best game of the year with 298 yards and a touchdown.
Running back Jeremy Hill also reached pay dirt and rushed for 107 yards on 29 carries, becoming the only back to reach the century mark against the Crimson Tide this season.
LSU was down 14-3 at halftime, but Hill’s score and receiver Javris Landry’s 14-yard touchdown reception put the Tigers up and poised for a win before McCarron’s heroics. Landry finished with eight catches for 76 yards.
Despite their two losses, the Tigers can boost their shot a bowl with win over the stumbling Mississippi State, who is on a two game losing streak.
A week after also losing to Alabama, the Bulldogs fell to Texas A&M 38-13, with quarterback Johnny Maziel torching their defense for 440 all-purpose yards.
In their last two games, Mississippi State has been outscored 76-20 and have gained just 145 rushing yards. Junior quarterback Tyler Russell has also thrown two interceptions, after throwing one in the previous seven games.
The contest begins at 7 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by ESPN depending on your region of the country, or you can watch their live stream online at Watch ESPN here by submitting your cable provider information
Prediction: LSU will try to salvage their season by running down the rest of their schedule, and the Bulldogs are unfortunately in their way. Assuming Mettenberger has a performance like he did against Alabama, the Tigers will win.
Betting Odds: LSU is favored by 16 points
Over/Under: 44 points
Predicted Score: LSU 24, Mississippi State 10
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Marcos Maidana Heavily Praised By Mexican Boxing Legends
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine