LSU vs Mississippi State: Preview, Where to Watch, Betting Odds
November 11, 2012 8:44 AM EST
A BCS bowl berth is on the line for the LSU Tigers as they host to Mississippi State Bulldogs Saturday night at Tiger Stadium.
LSU nearly pulled off a huge upset of No. 1 Alabama last week, but couldn’t hold off Crimson Tide quarterback A.J. McCarron’s last minute touchdown drive and suffered their second loss of the season by a score of 21-17.
Still the ninth-ranked Tigers were the only team to hold a lead against Alabama this season, and quarterback Zach Mettenberger had his best game of the year with 298 yards and a touchdown.
Running back Jeremy Hill also reached pay dirt and rushed for 107 yards on 29 carries, becoming the only back to reach the century mark against the Crimson Tide this season.
LSU was down 14-3 at halftime, but Hill’s score and receiver Javris Landry’s 14-yard touchdown reception put the Tigers up and poised for a win before McCarron’s heroics. Landry finished with eight catches for 76 yards.
Despite their two losses, the Tigers can boost their shot a bowl with win over the stumbling Mississippi State, who is on a two game losing streak.
A week after also losing to Alabama, the Bulldogs fell to Texas A&M 38-13, with quarterback Johnny Maziel torching their defense for 440 all-purpose yards.
In their last two games, Mississippi State has been outscored 76-20 and have gained just 145 rushing yards. Junior quarterback Tyler Russell has also thrown two interceptions, after throwing one in the previous seven games.
The contest begins at 7 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by ESPN depending on your region of the country, or you can watch their live stream online at Watch ESPN here by submitting your cable provider information
Prediction: LSU will try to salvage their season by running down the rest of their schedule, and the Bulldogs are unfortunately in their way. Assuming Mettenberger has a performance like he did against Alabama, the Tigers will win.
Betting Odds: LSU is favored by 16 points
Over/Under: 44 points
Predicted Score: LSU 24, Mississippi State 10
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims