LSU vs Mississippi State: Preview, Where to Watch, Betting Odds
November 11, 2012 8:44 AM EST
A BCS bowl berth is on the line for the LSU Tigers as they host to Mississippi State Bulldogs Saturday night at Tiger Stadium.
LSU nearly pulled off a huge upset of No. 1 Alabama last week, but couldn’t hold off Crimson Tide quarterback A.J. McCarron’s last minute touchdown drive and suffered their second loss of the season by a score of 21-17.
Still the ninth-ranked Tigers were the only team to hold a lead against Alabama this season, and quarterback Zach Mettenberger had his best game of the year with 298 yards and a touchdown.
Running back Jeremy Hill also reached pay dirt and rushed for 107 yards on 29 carries, becoming the only back to reach the century mark against the Crimson Tide this season.
LSU was down 14-3 at halftime, but Hill’s score and receiver Javris Landry’s 14-yard touchdown reception put the Tigers up and poised for a win before McCarron’s heroics. Landry finished with eight catches for 76 yards.
Despite their two losses, the Tigers can boost their shot a bowl with win over the stumbling Mississippi State, who is on a two game losing streak.
A week after also losing to Alabama, the Bulldogs fell to Texas A&M 38-13, with quarterback Johnny Maziel torching their defense for 440 all-purpose yards.
In their last two games, Mississippi State has been outscored 76-20 and have gained just 145 rushing yards. Junior quarterback Tyler Russell has also thrown two interceptions, after throwing one in the previous seven games.
The contest begins at 7 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by ESPN depending on your region of the country, or you can watch their live stream online at Watch ESPN here by submitting your cable provider information
Prediction: LSU will try to salvage their season by running down the rest of their schedule, and the Bulldogs are unfortunately in their way. Assuming Mettenberger has a performance like he did against Alabama, the Tigers will win.
Betting Odds: LSU is favored by 16 points
Over/Under: 44 points
Predicted Score: LSU 24, Mississippi State 10
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown