LSU vs Mississippi State: Preview, Where to Watch, Betting Odds
November 11, 2012 8:44 AM EST
A BCS bowl berth is on the line for the LSU Tigers as they host to Mississippi State Bulldogs Saturday night at Tiger Stadium.
LSU nearly pulled off a huge upset of No. 1 Alabama last week, but couldn’t hold off Crimson Tide quarterback A.J. McCarron’s last minute touchdown drive and suffered their second loss of the season by a score of 21-17.
Still the ninth-ranked Tigers were the only team to hold a lead against Alabama this season, and quarterback Zach Mettenberger had his best game of the year with 298 yards and a touchdown.
Running back Jeremy Hill also reached pay dirt and rushed for 107 yards on 29 carries, becoming the only back to reach the century mark against the Crimson Tide this season.
LSU was down 14-3 at halftime, but Hill’s score and receiver Javris Landry’s 14-yard touchdown reception put the Tigers up and poised for a win before McCarron’s heroics. Landry finished with eight catches for 76 yards.
Despite their two losses, the Tigers can boost their shot a bowl with win over the stumbling Mississippi State, who is on a two game losing streak.
A week after also losing to Alabama, the Bulldogs fell to Texas A&M 38-13, with quarterback Johnny Maziel torching their defense for 440 all-purpose yards.
In their last two games, Mississippi State has been outscored 76-20 and have gained just 145 rushing yards. Junior quarterback Tyler Russell has also thrown two interceptions, after throwing one in the previous seven games.
The contest begins at 7 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by ESPN depending on your region of the country, or you can watch their live stream online at Watch ESPN here by submitting your cable provider information
Prediction: LSU will try to salvage their season by running down the rest of their schedule, and the Bulldogs are unfortunately in their way. Assuming Mettenberger has a performance like he did against Alabama, the Tigers will win.
Betting Odds: LSU is favored by 16 points
Over/Under: 44 points
Predicted Score: LSU 24, Mississippi State 10
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories