BBC To Release Film About Hurricane Sandy
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 11, 2012 1:17 AM EST
While several East Coast residents are still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, the BBC is planning to develop a documentary on the storm. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the hour-long, quick-turnaround program will address questions as to why the storm occurred and how it has affected New York City and its surrounding areas. The film, titled "Sandy: An Anatomy of a Storm," will air on Nov. 18 in the U.K.
Dealine reports that the film will use forensic analysis and CGI to detail Sandy's path of destruction.
The BBC is set to partner with Dragonfly Film and Television for the documentary. The two companies previously collaborated for the highly rated documentary "The Plane Crash," which explored flight safety.
“Sandy has captured the public’s imagination like no other storm this century," Dragonfly's executive director said in a statement. "Our film will tell the stories of the brave New Yorkers who were caught in the eye of the storm, and whose spirited fight back has inspired the world.”
The BBC has a history of releasing documentaries that focus on events and issues in American culture. This year, the network aired "American Road Trip: The Obama Story" and"American Serial Killer" about the 11 unsolved murders committed by a Long Island serial killer. The network has also produced a number of specials that focus on the 9/11 terrorist attacks, such as "9/11: The Lost Tapes."
In August, the company premiered "The Batman Murders," which examined the July movie theater massacre in Aurora, Colo., and other horrific U.S. shootings.
According to the Associated Press, a total of 106 U.S residents were killed during Hurricane Sandy, which hit the country on Oct. 29. In addition to New York, the storm left two million without power for days, shut down public transit systems, and has caused millions of dollars worth of damage to Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and other states. It is the largest Atlantic hurricane on record.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales