BBC To Release Film About Hurricane Sandy
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 11, 2012 1:17 AM EST
While several East Coast residents are still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, the BBC is planning to develop a documentary on the storm. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the hour-long, quick-turnaround program will address questions as to why the storm occurred and how it has affected New York City and its surrounding areas. The film, titled "Sandy: An Anatomy of a Storm," will air on Nov. 18 in the U.K.
Dealine reports that the film will use forensic analysis and CGI to detail Sandy's path of destruction.
The BBC is set to partner with Dragonfly Film and Television for the documentary. The two companies previously collaborated for the highly rated documentary "The Plane Crash," which explored flight safety.
“Sandy has captured the public’s imagination like no other storm this century," Dragonfly's executive director said in a statement. "Our film will tell the stories of the brave New Yorkers who were caught in the eye of the storm, and whose spirited fight back has inspired the world.”
The BBC has a history of releasing documentaries that focus on events and issues in American culture. This year, the network aired "American Road Trip: The Obama Story" and"American Serial Killer" about the 11 unsolved murders committed by a Long Island serial killer. The network has also produced a number of specials that focus on the 9/11 terrorist attacks, such as "9/11: The Lost Tapes."
In August, the company premiered "The Batman Murders," which examined the July movie theater massacre in Aurora, Colo., and other horrific U.S. shootings.
According to the Associated Press, a total of 106 U.S residents were killed during Hurricane Sandy, which hit the country on Oct. 29. In addition to New York, the storm left two million without power for days, shut down public transit systems, and has caused millions of dollars worth of damage to Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and other states. It is the largest Atlantic hurricane on record.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers: Calzona Still on Shaky Ground, April's Baby Bump Gets Real, Karev vs Bailey Anticipated
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install