BBC To Release Film About Hurricane Sandy
By Justine Ashley Costanza | November 11, 2012 1:17 AM EST
While several East Coast residents are still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, the BBC is planning to develop a documentary on the storm. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the hour-long, quick-turnaround program will address questions as to why the storm occurred and how it has affected New York City and its surrounding areas. The film, titled "Sandy: An Anatomy of a Storm," will air on Nov. 18 in the U.K.
Dealine reports that the film will use forensic analysis and CGI to detail Sandy's path of destruction.
The BBC is set to partner with Dragonfly Film and Television for the documentary. The two companies previously collaborated for the highly rated documentary "The Plane Crash," which explored flight safety.
“Sandy has captured the public’s imagination like no other storm this century," Dragonfly's executive director said in a statement. "Our film will tell the stories of the brave New Yorkers who were caught in the eye of the storm, and whose spirited fight back has inspired the world.”
The BBC has a history of releasing documentaries that focus on events and issues in American culture. This year, the network aired "American Road Trip: The Obama Story" and"American Serial Killer" about the 11 unsolved murders committed by a Long Island serial killer. The network has also produced a number of specials that focus on the 9/11 terrorist attacks, such as "9/11: The Lost Tapes."
In August, the company premiered "The Batman Murders," which examined the July movie theater massacre in Aurora, Colo., and other horrific U.S. shootings.
According to the Associated Press, a total of 106 U.S residents were killed during Hurricane Sandy, which hit the country on Oct. 29. In addition to New York, the storm left two million without power for days, shut down public transit systems, and has caused millions of dollars worth of damage to Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and other states. It is the largest Atlantic hurricane on record.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect