Arsenal Midfielder Prefers Career with Medals to Top Four Finishes
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 10:57 PM EST
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has admitted he would prefer some silverware, any silverware, rather than a regular top four finish in the Premier League and a Champions League berth... at least for now. The north London club has been without a trophy for seven seasons now and comments by Gunners' manager Arsene Wenger, about a top four finish being equal to winning titles, have been poorly received by fans.
"We know how desperate the fans are for a trophy and, trust me, the players want silverware. When you look back on your career, you don't think: 'Ah right, we finished fourth every year'. You say: 'What have we won?' And that's what you want to do," the England international stressed.
"Our aim every season is to challenge for the Premier League which we continue to do so week-in and week-out. We wouldn't be Arsenal FC if we wanted any less," he added.
Wilshere may only be 20 years old but the youngster has already become the central man in Arsenal's first team, particularly after the departure of Spanish international Cesc Fabregas, to hometown club Barcelona, last year. The England man made his senior squad debut at 16 and after a short loan period at Bolton, Wilshere has established himself as key for both club and country, despite spending more than 15 months out with a recurring stress-related injury.
Unfortunately for him, Wilshere has yet to win a trophy with the Emirates club and, worse still, has seen a string of high-profile and some truly world-class first-team regulars leave the club over the last few seasons, for that sole purpose. Players like Fabregas and Alex Song (to Barcelona this summer) and Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy (to Premier League champions Manchester City) have all left and French international Bacary Sagna may be the next in line.
Wilshere has categorically stated he will remain with the club for the rest of his career, calling Arsenal his "home" and his "perfect club". However, similar comments were made by Fabregas before he left for the Catalan giants and despite Wilshere's references to Arsenal legends like Tony Adams, club fans should probably be more and more concerned, the longer Wenger goes trophy-less. The midfielder, as you'd expect, has no shortage of admirers, with the biggest probably Spanish champions Real Madrid, who were linked with a move last season.
The midfielder, who has been selected for Roy Hodgson's England to play Sweden in a midweek international friendly, will miss the weekend's league fixture against Fulham, after he picked up a red card in the defeat at Old Trafford last weekend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change