Liverpool Receive Defensive Boost ahead of Chelsea Test
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 10, 2012 8:25 PM EST
Liverpool coach Brendan Rodgers has confirmed England right back Glen Johnson will be fit and available for the high-profile weekend clash against Chelsea. The Reds will travel to Stamford Bridge for a Sunday kick-off, struggling in 12th place in the league. In contrast, their hosts for the game are second, with 23 points from 10 games, and only a point behind leaders Manchester United.
"Glen looks very strong so he'll be fit for the weekend," Rodgers told the club's website, adding that goalkeeper Pepe Reina would face a late fitness test before the London game, "We'll assess Pepe over the next 24 hours, but he's making progress. If he doesn't make the weekend then certainly I'd anticipate him to be available the following week. He's working very hard and working very well."
The Spanish international is fighting off a hamstring injury, while Johnson has recovered from a muscle spasm he picked up last month.
However, the Anfield club will definitely have to do without summer signing Fabio Borini (the Italian striker will be unavailable for another two months at least, as he recovers from a fracture), Lucas Leiva (the Brazilian midfielder is at least two weeks away with a hip injury) and defender Martin Kelly (the Englishman has an ACL issue).
As for Chelsea, Roberto Di Matteo has only two players to worry about. England internationals Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard are both injured and unlikely to play any part in this game. Spanish playmaker Juan Mata does have a hamstring issue but will probably recover in time to play and central defenders David Luiz and John Terry return from their suspensions.
Rodgers on Suarez's Importance
Meanwhile, Rodgers also took time out to stress on the importance of Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez to the club's fortunes. The 25-year-old South American may have a turbulent personality but his value as a top-class forward cannot be questioned... particularly this season. Suarez has seven league goals in 10 games so far this season.
"Liverpool got a world-class striker in Luis, who has been absolutely breathtaking - particularly this season in some of his play. Luis's contribution for us is fantastic," the former Swansea City manager explained, adding, "He is a world-class striker and I'm blessed to work at a great club with great players and Luis is one of them."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports