US to Sell 25 Warplanes to Saudi Arabia in $6.7bn Deal
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 10, 2012 8:20 PM EST
The US is planning to sell 25 warplanes to Saudi Arabia as part of an arms deal worth nearly $6.7 bn (£4.2 bn).
The Pentagon has announced that Washington hopes to sell 20 C-130J military transport planes and five KC-130J refuelling aircraft, known as Hercules.
"The proposed sale of these aircraft and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region," said the Pentagon's Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA).
The Agency said the sale of the aircraft is for Saudi Arabia to "sustain its ageing fleet, which faces increasing obsolescence".
The multibillion dollar arms deal includes spare parts for the aircraft, training costs, and logistics apart from the aircraft, announced the Pentagon.
According to the Agency, the sale would "contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that has been, and continues to be, an important force for political stability and economic progress in the Middle East".
The US is also intending to strengthen Saudi Arabia's ballistic-missile defences in order to counter the growing threat from Iran over the nuclear standoff.
The US Congress will have one month to raise any objections over the deal.
Washington has always tried to pacify its ally Israel over such arms deals with other countries saying the deals are aimed at winning more moderate allies in the region.
Saudi Arabia has been increasing its defence spending for several years. In 2010, the Kingdom sealed a deal worth $60bn with Washington, possibly the largest US arms deal ever.
The US also agreed to sell 84 fighter jets to Saudi Arabia in late 2011.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Housing Affordability Improves: Toronto, Vancouver Properties Most Pricey
- New Zealand PM John Key Dismisses 'Dirty Politics' Issue in TV Debate, Outshines David Cunliffe
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Malaysia And Australia Agree To Split MH 370 Search Costs
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide