Turkey Helicopter Crash Kills 17 Soldiers
By Geetha Pillai | November 10, 2012 7:55 PM EST
At least 17 soldiers have died in a helicopter crash in southeast Turkey.
The Sikorsky type military helicopter crashed on Herekol Mountain, in the Pervari area of Siirt province, according to a Reuters report quoting Siirt Governor Ahmet Aydin. The victims were members of the Turkish gendarmerie special forces.
According to state-run TRT television, the crash occurred in the mountainous region due to heavy fog.
Helicopters frequently operate in the region, ferrying the military to areas dominated by Kurdish militants.
An investigation into the cause of the crash is under way.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery